Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Q5 Transverters for SSB and Satellite work. How well does it work?

Options
I am considering ordering the Q5 Signal 5-band transverter for use with my Flex-6600M radio. I would like to be able to use it with a SSPA and mast mouted preamps for 1444/430 MHz for SSB DXing, and then also with LEO satellites through another antenna system and at a lower power output.

So, my question is anyone doing this and how well is it working? I am a little concerned about getting the sequencing between the SSPA's and the mast mounted preamps to work OK without frying anything when I am doing SSB or EME at higher power levels, but want minimal fiddling to change things over to work the OSCAR satellites.

I just purchased the Flex station gear and am getting it setup for HF. The VHF/UHF station is in the works, and in the planning stages, while I gradually deploy the various pieces and components. I thought I should ask on here what everyone else is doing and what works well so that I don't spend time reinventing the wheel, or make purchasing mistakes that could be avoided.

Thanks for the help.
Joseph N5WY

Answers

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don’t have the 5-band model, but Q5 transverters are very high quality. If you have questions, Q5 service is top notch.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

@jrodgers_n5wy

The Q5 transverters work wonderfully. They have sequencers built in or you can sequence TX1, 2 and 3 on the back of the radio.

I only use TX port on the back of the radio and then the Q5 unit sequences the Amp and the PreAmp.

I don't think you will have any issues.

• jrodgers_n5wy
    jrodgers_n5wy Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input guys. I will be ordering the Q5 transverters. I have enjoyed watching your videos on them, Mike, and it looks to be the perfect solution.

My only concern was being able to reduce the output power of the 25W or 50W versions to a level acceptable for a my high power LDMOS 1kW VHF and UHF amps. From what I have gathered so far, it looks like it is possible, although I wasn't entirely sure, so will be sure to ask Corey when I order.

Thanks
    Joseph

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.