Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TG XL and Antenna Genius 8X2

I consider connecting these two using two lengths of quality coax about 1 meter each.

My concern is about possible SWR increase. or other potential problems.

Is there a suggested coax length, or lengths to be avoided?

Tom

Best Answer

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

As long as not doing VHF/uhf, those lengths are an insignificant fraction of a wavelength on hf. If the coax and connectors are good quality, there should be no issues.

Answers

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭

no issues have tried equal and different length cables between these devices

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

SWR is always vary along a feedline if you are not using an antenna that is 50 ohms and 100% resistive. This is to be expected.

You will see a bit of a variance in SWR, but this is normal. And, high SWR is not the evil thing that all hams seem to be afraid of. Yes, it needs to be managed, but anything under 2:1 is considered normal.

I ran my PGXL for years into SWR up to 2:1 all the time without issue. Also, low SWR is not a guarantee of how well an antenna will actually radiate.

tldr; you’ll be fine with any length of quality cable.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.