Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Has anyone seen this ?

Spanky97
Spanky97 Member ✭✭
edited April 2023 in Amateur Radio Interests

This noise started about 45 days ago. un hooked antenna and its gone, so my thought is its coming in through the antenna. Will do the power shut down when the warrden is not at home, any ideas?

Best Answers

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Pretty definitely a switching power supply of some sort. Have any neighbors installed solar panels? The inverters will also do this. The first test is to pull the main breaker with the flex receiver powered by battery, ups or whatever is available.

• Spanky97
    Spanky97 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thanks John.

Answers

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

You think you have got problems..... Here is a shot of my 160m band being helped by solar panels adjacent!!!

• Spanky97
    Spanky97 Member ✭✭

Thanks Mike, my 160M is quiet except in summer when the AM radio station about 12 miles away gets going on the medium wave towards europe.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Any results with the breaker test?

• Spanky97
    Spanky97 Member ✭✭

Morning John, I will be doing the breaker test today. Will keep you updated

• Spanky97
    Spanky97 Member ✭✭

Afternoon All. did the whole power shut down on the house and property. still there. guess i will get the RSP1A (SDR), laptop, and a battery with a small loop for an antenna and go hunting. Too continue latter. Thanks for the help gentlemen. KE0SYB Daniel

• Spanky97
    Spanky97 Member ✭✭
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes, probably external to the house. There are some devices that appear to be off but may actually may be on.

• Spanky97
    Spanky97 Member ✭✭

Evening john, disconnected whole house at the meter. No ups on anything, phone line may have a few volts . Cordless phones work off wall worts which are without power. Only solar is three blocks away and they are grid systems . I will just have to go hunting.

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭

I found my phone wall wart was causing similar issue.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

@KM4CQG "I found my phone wall wart was causing similar issue."

With the power off???

• Spanky97
    Spanky97 Member ✭✭

I killed the power to my house and property so I could eliminate the possibility that the interference was caused by my house. It is definitely off site. In the process of logging time of day, start/stop so I can narrow down what it may be.

• Spanky97
    Spanky97 Member ✭✭

morning all, power and cable company are here running around like a bunch of mad ants. this problem is full spectrum no matter what frequency I am on. no one seems to know what it is. did my part so now its up to the professionals. this may take a couple weeks to resolve will follow up when new data dictates.

• Spanky97
    Spanky97 Member ✭✭

Found the problem. it's a switching power supply that runs some of the rail road crossing lights and control arms. made a complaint to the FCC. one week later RXR crews were down taking a look at things. noise stopped for three days. what ever they did it took the noise down to 15DB. it is manageable on my end but not gone. this Friday 8/11/2023 its all gone. do not know what they did. the power company's and cable tv did a real great job helping me find this. to all, don't be afraid to use the FCC they were great for me. now I did all the leg work, but for the peace and quit its worth it. Thanks for the input gentlemen.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

I was having a similar problem from a nearby power line in insulator. Found and fixed by the electric co-op.

• Spanky97
    Spanky97 Member ✭✭

Morning John, thanks for all your input with this. power company found a lightning arrestor on one of the poles arcing and replaced it. all is good for now.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.