Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL Intermittent Reconnect Issue (FYI – my fix)

Options

My Flex setup consists of a Flex-6700 & -6600 (using latest 3.x firmware), Maestro, TGXL tuner, PGXL amp, and 4O3A 8x2 Antenna Genius switch. For several years, I’ve experienced following momentary PGXL message that appears on both front panel screen and PC app: “Reconnecting…”.  The disconnect/reconnect time only takes a few seconds, and has resulted in CW or SSB QSO interruptions only a few times.  It almost always occurs when PGXL is idling in either standby or operate mode, and occurs randomly about every 10-20 minutes.  None of my other Flex equipment appears to experience this issue.  I use the Maestro (not PC) for SSDR with my mic, keyer, speakers, & headphone connected directly to Flex radios -- only connections to Maestro are network cable and power.

All Flex-associated-equipment network connections (including PC), were connected to a Flex-dedicated Gigabit ethernet switch, which connects to a tp-link AX11000K router.  Network latency values, shown on Maestro, are very low (typically 1ms).  Swapping cables, ethernet switch, and router (all Gigabit-speed types), did not resolve the issue.  I also added pairs of DX Engineering ISO PLUS RF Filters to each network cable, and changed to shielded network cables. Also tried using various tp-link, Linksys, and Netgear Gigabit ethernet switches, with 8 or 16-ports.  All these actions neither reduced or eliminated PGXL reconnects.

The FIX:  I changed the Flex-dedicated ethernet switch to a slower speed model.  I now use a tp-link TL-SF1016DS(V4) unmanaged 10/100 ethernet switch ($49 from B&H Photo).  Now, the TGXL, PGXL, & Antenna Genius PC apps are no longer fussy about the order in which they are powered-ON and they respond faster. Sorry so long winded... hope this might help someone.

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Thanks for posting this Dewey. There has been a lot of discussion about drops in the gigabit switches. Your experience corroborates what Mike, VA3MW has been saying for some time.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I do have "reconnect" messages as well. I do not believe everyone has to replace the 1GB network switches, but PGXL FW should be "refined" to work with 1GB switches.

Sergey

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.