Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Drop out SDR problem

Options

Hi.

I must sound like a broken record............always moaning............

However, since reinstalling Windows 10 I don't lose COM ports any more - great!

I do have a new problem, apart from my CW dropping power nearly EVERY time I key now, most annoying in the FOC Marathon. I cannot key with confidence. It's not that I am asking about however because I hope this problem will go away with the new upate.

SDR keeps dropping connection with the radio. The radio stays on, I can hear signals, but cannot tune it and I have to reboot in order to carry on. This happens fairly often and I cannot see or understand why. Will this problem also be fixed in the new software?

73 de Roger, G3LDI

Answers

• Rick_KJ5WO
    Rick_KJ5WO Member ✭✭
    Options

I think there is a reasonable chance that you may have some RFI in the shack. I was able to help mine with the use of ferrite cores and clamp on beads. I hope it helps.

https://palomar-engineers.com/

73's Rick_KJ5WO

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Rick. I don't have RF in the shack, tested all that and also have installed ferrites and so on. It can happen even when I am listening! Thanks for the suggestion however.

73 de Roger, G3LDI

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

The test to ensure it isn't RFI is to do some testing at Zero RF out. Since you mention it happens every time you key, it will quickly eliminate that as a possible contributor.

The next test is to try into a dummy load. If it fails at 100 watts then it could be a radio issue. If it doesn't it is something in your environment.

Let us know what you find it. It shouldn't take too long.

If SmartSDR keeps dropping the network connection, then you need to do this test. It helps to isolate any network issues.

• turn off the radio
    • turn off the computer
    • connect the radio directly to the network connector on the computer with a single LAN cable
    • turn on both the radio and the computer
    • Once both have booted up smart SmartSDR
    • Connect to the radio with SmartSDR
    • See if you can make it fail

If it fails, open a support ticket. If it doesn't it is something in your network.

Again, let us know how you make out.

Mike va3mw

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Mike.

Thanks again for your input. The keying issue has been with me - and a lot of others - ever since owning the FLex. The only version that does NOT have the power drop out is version 2.4.10. I was happy with that, and see that Lasse is still using that version for the same reason. However, during the FOC marathon, it was extremely annoying to have this problem when paddling, rather than using N1MM. I just hope the new version, when it does come about, will have that problem solved. It is there with the present version 3 because two other locals have it with their Flex.

I have now reinstalled Windows 10, with fingers crossed, and having done that, I no longer lose my COM ports so at least that problem has gone away!

The dropping of the link is another matter. It can happen when I am just listening around the band. I will carry out the procedure you suggest. In fact I have been meaning to try the direct connection again to see if it now works with the reinstallation of Windows. Before that it would NOT connect direct, if you remember my previous posting!

Thanks Mike, I will let you know. 73 de Roger, G3LDI

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Mike.

Well, partly good news. Since my reinstallation of Windows 10 I can now connect the radio direct to the computer. Obviously that was a W10 problem here on my PC. The original installation had a very weird directory structure and it didn't make any sense. Reinstallation cured that too.

However, the keying problem is still with me and has not been cured. I think you misunderstand that. I can key the rig OK, I get a side tone and if I did not look at the power out I would assume it was working fine. The problem is that although I can key OK, the power out drops to zero. If I carry on keying it stays zero until I pause. The the power comes back to normal. It can happen at any time is very frustrating.

I have seen the relase notes of version 3.4.21 and nothing is mentioned in those relating to CW at all. I have two friends locally running 3.4.1 and that still has this annoying power drop off. I am running 2.8.1 so before I even think of updating could you confirm that this problem has been cured? Also, are there extra CW related parameters that the usesr can change? I am thinking of rise time, decay time, M/S ratio and so on. If there is nothing related to CW, I might as well reverto to 2,4,10 which is the ONLY version to NOT have this power drop off problem. I don't fancey waiting another two years before this is addressed. At nearly 85 I may not have another two years TO wait!!!

73 de Roger, G3LDI

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Hi Roger,

I opened a ticket for you. They will help you out.

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Version 2.4.10 is for CW operation.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

Version 2.4.10 will not run on some radios anymore.

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

In any case, EVERY version should cater for CW.

Doesn't seem as if there are any CW parameters that can be adjusted in the new version 3.

Hope we don't have to wait another year or two for those!

73 de Roger, G3LDI

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

@Dan Trainor

I did some digging on 2.4.10 and why it is now obsolete:

SD card corruption

6300, 6500 and 6700 - no slice or panadapters on boot

No SmartLink

No Ethernet link recovery

Still has issues getting DHCP IP addresses

No TURF for Canada, no 60m for Latvia, Slovakia, IARU Region 3, and Bulgaria

Missing some features of USB (polling FA CAT command) and fixes

DAX crashes, no improved DAX latency

Lower performance on M-model and Maestro due to using outdated .NET

Support, we will not address any anomalous behavior unless using the latest version.

I am sure there are more, but in discussions with Tim, that is what we remembered.

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Mike, Thank you for outlining the limitations of 2.4.10 - Dan

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Dan and Mike

I have a 6600 here, no Maestro, no problem with the DAX. My winodws installation was causing a lot of problems, including a weird directory structure. However re-installing W10 has cured that, has enabled me to connect direct from Flex to PC.

However, it does seem that there are very few CW operators in the software department. My friend Malcolm G3PDH has just installed 3.4.21 and confirmed to me today that he STILL has the power dropoff on CW. This has made me decide not to upgrade here ( still running 2.8.1 since I don't want to regress to 2.4.10. )

However, with no new CW features and the main fault still there I am definitely NOT going to now.

If only we had PowerSDR. Dream on..........

73 de Roger, G3LDI

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Roger, please see my answer to Mal, in the other thread, regarding CW RF power loss.

/Lasse SM5GLC

PS I do not think it's SSDR causing the problem, rather the firmware in the radio DS

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Veresion 2,9,1 is out!!! Great, that means the keying dropout must have been cured. At last!!!

Well, I installed it, took great care in doing so, then tested it on 80m with Malcolm G3PDH. Two minutes into the QSO, the first dropout happened in the middle of a word. We carried on testing and with my delay at 227 it was going well for 30 seconds and then a major drolpout. I could carry on keying and supposedly talking to Malcolm, but I was watching the power out indication. Nothing was indicated and I carried on for about 20 seconds and then decided to let the delay drop me back to receive. Then keying again it was fine.

Oh well another update and no cure for the dropout. Is ANYTHING being done about this???????????????????

73 de Roger, G3LDI

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What was the result of the help desk ticket Mike opened for you?

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

HI Neil.

It was passed to Ken Wells to investigate. We exchanged extensive measurements, tests, readjustments and so on and nothing affected the drop out. I last heard from Ken about a month ago and he said the problem had been passed to the software team. I assumed this version was going to fix it, but no!

I suppose I shall have to wait...............

73 de Roger, G3LDI

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Roger, thanks for testing. Saves me the work to upgrade-downgrade.

Lets hope 2.10.1 will do the trick!

/Lasse SM5GLC

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Lasse.

Thanks for your comment. Are you REALLY convinced that 2.10.1 will have the drop-out fimxed? I'm not!

It's a bit like the old Chinese water torture. It is destroying my sending now because it happens every time and I have to watch the power out all the time. My keying is affected as is my confidence in my sending ability. The rig is really not fit for purpose. Malcolm has bought himself a K4 now and uses that more than the Flex. I am on a small fixed pension and can't do that just to cure this problem.

Ken said that the software guys are working on it so I suppose I shall have to continue to be patient.

I drool when I look at the facilities of PSDR

73 de Roger, G3LDI

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.