Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My brand new PGXL sounds like a Hoover vac cycling on and off.

Options

Those of you with experience using the PGXL for some time give me a heads up, please. I just received the amp and have been putting it through its paces. My principal mode of operation is CW but I needed to try all modes. First, this amp is on 120 mains and not 240. The max power I am delivering (intentionally) is ~600 watts. I have had no issues with the amp performing as advertised on all bands and modes. However, when I make a few FT8 contacts in a row, the fans start cycling and are pretty loud sounding like the turbine in a jet engine. The amp is remote in a back room but I hear it all the way into my office where I am operating the station. Is this normal? I understand the fans need to be variable speed and they seem to be doing their thing. The temp never goes above 40 to 45 c. Let me know folks and thanks.

Comments

• K4QXX
    K4QXX Member ✭✭
    Options

The amp does get noisy. A little surprised that it's that loud at only 40-45 C. Wait until it gets to 55-60 c and it will really get your attention.

K4QXX

Burch

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Which cooling mode are you using?

Standard, Contest or Broadcast?

When you run power, you do need to deal with a lot of internally generated heat and you do need the fans to cool the device.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.