Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6600 and Tuner Genius XL RF Sense

Options
I am having a problem where I cannot tune the Tuner Genius XL from SmartSDR but instead have to physically press the button on the tuner or use the tuner software. I am wondering if there is a way to have RF Sense when connected to a Flex 6600. When I start SmartSDR, the tuner shows the name of the radio rather than RF Sense for Band A. Any help?

Best Answer

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

The tuner is designed to require a press of the tune button on the tuner or tuner app. When integrated with the Flex radio, it will initiate a tune cycle.

The current SmartSDR does not allow the tune button in SmartSDR to initiate a tune cycle of the Tuner Genius.

Dave wo2x

Answers

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭
    Options

If you are using a 6600, you will no doubt be using it in conjunction with a PC. Have you considered setting up a key on your keyboard to press when you want to tune the TGXL instead of reaching over to press the tune button itself on the TGXL?

I have done exactly that on my set-up. I chose "F10" to make for a quick depression of the button to initiate tune cycle. I actually use Smart SDR for Mac, and there is the facility to action the keyboard to do all sorts of things. On SmartSDR (for Windows computers) I guess you will be able to do the same if you have FRStack downloaded???

Mike G4GWH

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The TGXL is a semi-automatic tuner. It does a great job of finding tuning solutions and storing them when you hit the TUNE button on the tuner or the app. It does a great job of recalling tuning solutions for different bands and antennas. However, it will not initiate a tuning cycle on its own.

It took me a while to get used to that but now I see it has advantages. There is nothing like the pain of an auto-tuner deciding on its own that it doesn't like the current SWR and doing a tuning cycle while you are in QSO and running an amp.

The SmartSDR TUNE button allows you to see the current SWR without bothering the tuner. The TUNE button on the tuner doesn't look at the current SWR but instead goes through a new tune cycle from scratch. To avoid that, first check your SWR using the TUNE button in SmartSDR and only if needed use the TUNE button on the tuner/app to find a better solution.

K1ESE

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.