Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Noise cancellation using 3rd-party software

Options

Flex have been promising phase noise cancellation for a long time.

In the meantime, is it possible to do basic noise cancellation through 3rd-party software? I have a 6600 with a “noise” antenna on RX-A. So if my main receiver is on ANT1-Slice A (DAX Audio RX1) and RX-A is on Slice B (DAX Audio RX2), would it be possible to use Virtual Audio Cable or some other application to subtract one from the other and produce a “noise-cancelled” audio stream?

73 Graham VK3GA

Comments

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

You could try NoiseLsser Noise Reduction software PA0SIM

I quickly gave up on it. My experience with my 6400 is that a better solution is not 3rd party s/w but a 3rd party noise cancelling unit. I have the X-Phase one by RA0SMS. However, results probably depend on type of noise, source and strength. The s/w certainly did not help with 80m noise due to a local electric pylon transformer whereas the X-Phase killed it stone dead.

• K9YK
    K9YK Member ✭✭
    Options

You could potentially cancel noise with an audio level solution, but you wouldn’t be able to prevent its effect on AGC. You are better off purchasing one of the several available outboard phase noise cancelers. Save that expensive SCU for use as a second receiver.

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am not aware of a separate software based noise phase canceller. But, there may be. I know in the SDRPlay RSPDuo RX, they have it built into the SDRUno software. And of course Anan 7000 DLE has it and others. The alternative is a hardware based approach using either of these two units:

MFJ Noise Canceling Signal Enhancers MFJ-1026

WiMo QRM Eliminator 26000

But, the hardware approach you won't be taking advantage of the SCUs inside the 6600.

Dan WA1QZX