Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

slice questions

Have a 6400M running SSDR 3.4. I have 2 panadapters and 2 slices on the front of the radio. Slice B is the active and the xmit slice. When I recall a global profile it puts the recalled info into slice A and B slice and panadapter disappear. Is that the way it should happen? I would have thought that whatever is the active slice that is where the global profile would be placed.

Another question. When I have one slice/panadapter on the radio and then start SSDR and put a slice/panadapter there both slices show as slice A. And the only way I have found to change the xmit slice is to use multiflex.

With the 6400M can I put 2 slices/panadapters on the PC? Or do they have to one on the radio and one on PC?

Fred, K0FG

Best Answer

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Yep, I understand. The funny thing is that we think of the slices as separate VFOs, when they are actually separate receivers that can be listened to simultaneously. I do that all the time when I am trying to get a DX station who is operating split.

Answers

• KD0RC

Hi Fred, I see what you are thinking about the profiles, but that is not quite how they work. They take whatever you saved at the time and give that back when you select that profile. So in your case, select the base profile to load everything that you want, then open the second slice, set TX and whichever is to be active, then either save that same profile back, or save it as a new profile, depending on what you are after.

Maybe a better way to say it is that the slice configuration is part of the profile.

If you want both panadapters on the PC, put the front panel into SmartControl mode. This will give you the panadapters and waterfalls on the PC (no MultiFlex), yet still allow you to control everything with the front panel knobs and buttons. Done this way, you do not get the panadapters on the front panel screen, you just get the "flag" information for the two slices. I think of it as the best of both worlds - the readability of the large PC screen coupled with the convenience of the knobs and buttons.

There is a pretty good write-up of SmartControl in the Maestro documentation starting on page 39.

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭

Thanks Len that works to create 2 slices/pans on the pc. Did not know I had to be in smartcontrol to make it work. I use smartcontrol quite a bit, trying to get used to using a mouse rather than buttons and switches. Got licensed in 1970, back then mouse control was traps and bait. And this Flex does not put out enough heat to keep the shack warm either.

Do you also have explanations for my first 2 questions? You are doing great so far.

Fred, K0FG

• KD0RC

Hi Fred, My first paragraph and trailing sentence were in response to your first question. If a re-read doesn't answer it, let me know and I will try again.

Your second question is solved by using SmartControl. Whenever you have two independent GUI clients (e.g., Maestro and SmartSDR) connected at the same time and therefore in MultiFlex, each sees its first slice as "A". If there is only one GUI Client (SmartSDR in this case) and on non-GUI client (Front Panel in SmartControl mode), then you won't be in MultiFlex, and the slices will show on SmartSDR as A, B, etc.

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭

Ok Len I think I understand it now, thanks. Did not know that the global profile stored all the slice/pan data. Now it makes sense. It works differently than my old radio with 2 vfos in it. Takes a little getting used to.

73 and thanks,

Fred, K0FG

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.