Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

73?

Geoff AB6BT
Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2023 in Amateur Radio Interests

OK, here's a random question...

Why do so many say 73s (or 73's) when 73 is defined as "Best Regards"?

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

73 = "Best Wishes"

73's = "Best Wisheses"

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

OK, Best Regardses???

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

that too :)

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

I'm really disappointed that more people didn't reply to my question.

I am actually curious. Where does this usage have its roots and what is the reasoning behind using 73s as opposed to 73.

I hope more folks chime in.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

I think people just assume that any plural noun needs an s at the end. For some reason, they think that because 'best regards' has an S at the end, 73 needs an S as well.

When it comes down to it, some ops are either a) ill-informed; b) lazy; c) ignorant of what 73 actually means.

I teach the BQ prep course here and we constantly have to drill into the students that the CW codes mean what they say -- they don't need 'additions' :-)

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Don.

Yeah, I've been wondering for years and thought I'd try to get some input from people.

Perhaps some will let us know what they are thinking.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.