Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR - AutoZeroBeat on CW click tune

Comments

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Yes...It really helps us DXer's when everyone descends on a DX spot all zerobeat with the station and we deliberately use a 30-50Hz offset which gets through nearly every time.  Works on "splits" also!! 
      I too voted for auto zero-beat..... the K3 spoiled me on that feature and sadly missed on my 6700 actually.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Interesting --- this request  is now tied for NUMBER 1 on the most requested idea list with 66 votes.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.16
    Win10

• Dave VE3VSM
    Dave VE3VSM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Who still wants AutoZeroBeat?  There must be a few of you - it's number 1 in votes.

How about a traditional Zero Beat, similar to PowerSDR, that can be activated by mouse click, FlexControl and CAT command?
  • jim
    jim Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    i have been waiting ?
    when will it happen 
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I cant imagine they wont. 
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I cant imagine they wont. 
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Since I only operate CW, I'm still a big fan of this and hope we see it in the next year or so.  

But my #1 favorite new feature would be to add Cluster spots and CW skimmer spot to the panadapter.  

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/pfskimer_what_is_the_possibility_for_a_smartsdr_dis...

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.1.30
    Win10
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
     Again I will vote for AutoZeroBeat on Click as a feature I would desire.  Perhaps (hopefully) in the next major software revision.  
  • Dieter
    Dieter Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have been waiting for AutoZero Beat ever since I replaced my Flex 5000A some years ago with my present 6700. But when reviewing the numerous wishes and demands posted on eham or our community it appears that FRS will be busy 24/7 for the next decades to further improve SSDR to the satisfaction of everybody . Until then I will continue to highly enjoy my radio patiently awaiting the missing ZeroBeat feature. Dieter/DJ1YG
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    MultiFlex, complicated and innovative, sweet. Why has it taken so many years for this feature to be added? It does not seem to rise to the level of difficulty as multiFlex. Tell me again, I’m slow I guess, but why do we vote on these things?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Lionel,
    Yes this does seem to be a relatively simple enhancement to make and it is very popular with 75 votes.  

RE: "Tell me again, I’m slow I guess, but why do we vote on these things?"

Yes, I added this one to the idea list 5 years ago now....haha, I guess we just keep hoping some one will pay attention.  I used to be more optimistic...I still see FRS remarks thanking people for their feedback....but not sure what that really means.   (at least not where the idea list and voting is concerned) 

We used to get road maps and could see if a new feature was being considered or tentatively planned.  That was dropped so now we just have to wait and see.  

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I dont think users voting on anything has any impact on Flex's decisions, they have their own roadmap (what ever that may be?) and their sticking to it.  Flex listens very little to its users any more, whether long or short term users of their hardware and software. 
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Now that I'm learning CW and watching how auto zerobeat works on a KX3 I want it!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    It does seem sometimes that what we would like to see happen falls on death ears. But that is not the case. Flex logs all the ideas, over a 1000 of them along with some of their own. Perhaps they should freeze all feature development for a while and just work on some of the smaller things we ask for?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hi Bill,

RE: Perhaps they should freeze all feature development for a while and just work on some of the smaller things we ask for?

That would be a great idea.....maybe just look at a few of the "top 10" by votes.  That would make a lot of folks happy and restore some faith in the voting process.

Alternating a major release with customer requested enhancements would be appreciated.  

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I think they need 2 or 3 more programmers hired on to clear the backlog.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Yes if they were a larger company perhaps. Most of the Flex staff can code but most have jobs full time that won't allow for coding time.

Because software is the most expensive part of business operation it is a fine balance in order to stay afloat.

Think of this, even with more coders on staff they can only release perhaps 5 updates per year because of extensive development and testing.Testing can go on for several weeks to months for a given change in SSDR.  More releases = less features.

And almost everything they do is breaking new ground in the SSDR world, un chartered waters. So as we can see it is hard to go much faster then they are at the moment being such a small company.
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Not bashing their business model but it seems PSDR is doing great in the open market. 
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Flex must have some internal ranking. Perhaps some info could be released without jeapordizing their competitive position. A list of 1,000 is simply beyond reasonable reviews for users so the appearance, optics, is that Flex is simply not listening. The promise of easily software upgradeable hardware seems to be turning into a curse. It’s not easy. Promises are hard, maybe impossible, to keep. So, some are disappointed. Personally, my expectations for upgrades, especially dsp work, for the average user is low. More Flex feedback would be helpful.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    AutoZeroBeat is back being discussed again.  Although this idea is very popular and the #2 idea on the list by votes, it has been there for 6 years now.   The only idea with more votes is the request to provide an option for Automated AGC-T. 

Maybe we’ll see something this year.....but maybe not.  

I’m not as optimistic as I was a few years ago.

Al / NN4ZZ

• coveredup
    coveredup Member ✭✭

Yes- Zero Beat --- and Auto would be a great advantage

• Hi all, must be me but i cannot for the life of me find a vote button ?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭

Hi Leo,

It has been in the #2 spot for about 7 years but you should be able to add a vote by searching in the "ideas" category. Try the link below that searches for the top ideas by votes. Click on the UP arrow.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

6700 Win10 Pro V2004 -- SSDR V2.4.10

Try this link:

https://community.flexradio.com/categories/new-ideas?sort=top

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭

What is the Flex explanation for the lack of zero beat feature some seven years after many requested it ? Flex thinks we are lazy and should do it manually ? Impossible to code such a feature ?

It would be useful for Flex to maintain an easy to look up list of official answers to feature requests and bug fix status .

Andy K3UK

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

+1 For CW Auto Beat, but been requesting it for years.

• Andrew O'Brien

But Dan, my intrigue is mostly about whether Flex has an explanation as to why it is never implemented. I don't particularly care if it is implemented or not, but from a customer relations perspective I would think they would have an explanation.

Andy K3UK

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

When I first got my 6600 I asked the same question. But after using it for a few years, not sure it’s needed. When you can visually “zero beat” with your mouse , clicking right on top of the signal. I mainly operate CW, migrated from a K3. I don’t miss the zero beat function at all.

73 Paul

w2eck

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭

Hi Paul,

This would be especially useful if you use C W Skimmer.  If you are off slightly, C W Skimmer will not decode properly. Currently you often have to click on a signal, fiddle with the mouse and/or shake the panadapter to get CW Skimmer synced up and decoding.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

6600 Win10 Pro V2004 -- SSDR V3.4.21

• Dave VE3VSM
    Dave VE3VSM Member ✭✭

+1 for a Zero Beat feature. PowerSDR has it. My cheap little FT-891 has it. Can't understand why SmartSDR doesn't have it after all this time.

Further to W2ECK's comment, you can visually zero beat with your mouse only if you are sufficiently zoomed in on the panadapter. If you are zoomed out to any degree clicking on a signal is not precise enough to zero beat it.

Thanks for considering.

• Andrew O'Brien

Bur Flex Radio's official answer is ?

Andy K3UK

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.