Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tuner Genius XL and balanced antenna

Options

Hello everyone,

Have any of you, using the Genius XL tuner and an external 1:1 balun, tried to work with the antenna powered by a symmetrical line? I have a 2x27m doublet and am going to buy a Genius XL to improve SWR in Hex Beam on CW frequencies. If it was possible to tune my doublet, that would be great. I just don't know what balun to buy for testing.

73's

Slawomir

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

This will require a balun to match the 50ohm the TGXL expects to the ladder line which I suspect is 450 ohms. You’ll have to check with the manufacturer of the feedline to be sure.

If that is the case, you need a 9:1 balun to match the 50:450 ohm impedance differences and make sure that it can handle the RF power you are dealing with.

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

On different bands, the antenna impedance at the tuner will be different. Sometimes higher and sometimes lower than 50 ohms. This variance is related to the length of the feed line between the antenna and the tuner. In most cases, it is best to use a 1:1 balun and then adjust the length of the feed line for a length that gives the best match on most bands. For a typical 80M center-fed doublet this length is typically close to an odd multiple of 1/8 wave at the lowest frequency the antenna is a half-wave on multiplied by the velocity factor of the feed line. DX Engineering has a nice article on balun selection on their website that covers this topic. Note: while the Tuner Genius is a very nice tuner it does not have the tuning range of some of the better manual tuners and therefore you may encounter some frequencies it won't successfully match.

• Slawomir
    Slawomir Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you very much for the information. I know that the balun must be 1:1. I have an automatic antenna box for PA0LL symmetrical antennas. But I will try how the TGXL Tuner will handle the balun. I would also like to know how many TGXL can remember settings on one band. Since I have a PGXL, the TGXL will complement my 6700.73's

Slawomir

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options
  • N0EG
    N0EG Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

I use Balun Designs Model 4114T - 4:1 Current Balun 1.5 - 54MHz 5kW with my TGXL / PGXL and my 125ft doublet

• Slawomir
    Slawomir Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Josh,

that's good news for me. Will try this balun. Have you noticed any signal loss when working with this balun? Is there a correct symmetry in the antenna? I will check if I can buy it in Europe.

73's

Slawomir

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

The TG XL when used with the 6700 will have 20 tuning memories per band.

Dave wo2x

• Slawomir
    Slawomir Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the information

Slawomir

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.