Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

VOX in new version

Options

From the release notes:

VOX Fixes:

Fixed intermittent VOX hanging in RX issue (SMART-8919, SMART-9154)

Does this mean that the VOX now works? I am still on 2.8 but I might upgrade if the VOX is actually fixed. The way the release note is worded is a bit odd. My VOX just stops keying the transmitter at random times. Never noticed a problem while in receive.

73, Mark K5XH

Comments

• Johan SE3X
    Johan SE3X Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I did a long test this morning and I still have those intermittent RF drop-outs. More or less exact same story as the CW drop-outs discussed in another tread. Not as intermittent as CW, it happens more or less every over after appr. 30 seconds. Flex 6700, transmitted 10W into a dummy load.

VOX still useless and this has been the same since I bought it back in 2018. Had V2 when I started with SSDR. It's a long, seemingly never ending story, and a shame on Flex not being able to solve this VOX and the CW drop-outs.

Johan, SE3X

• K5XH
    K5XH Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Johan. Guess I'll keep waiting to buy an update! It's nice to know that Flex has time to fix some ARQ stuff (PACTOR) that very few of us use these days but can't fix VOX. Oh well....

73, Mark

• Johan SE3X
    Johan SE3X Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi Mark, yes it's very strange priorities we see from Flex, I agree with you on that. I bought a Yaesu FT DX 10 a year ago and it has a really good VOX. Not a hicup once and I use it a lot for ragchewing and SSB nets. Prefer VOX for that kind of traffic. DX and Contest another deal, using footpedal then. It's a shame with VOX, but it is what it is, I still wouldn't dream of selling my 6700.

73, Johan

• Pete La
    Pete La Member ✭✭
    Options

I updated to 3.4.21 and haven't noticed as many VOX dropouts so far, but it has only been two days. A local ham said he thought he heard it drop out once during our morning QSO. I'm still testing it. The popping and cracking on CW seems to have gone away, but I haven't tested it that much. I'll keep you all posted with results. Pete K1OYQ

• Gordon
    Gordon Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Vox still intermittently drops out using version 3.4.21 on Flex 6700. It seems like it is not quite as often as before upgrade, but time will tell.

73, Gordon, KW4EX
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

For those dropping out, can you share, via a picture, your vox settings?

This is the screen I want to see:

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Gordon
    Gordon Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    73, Gordon, KW4EX
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

@Gordon what happens if you turn off DEXP?

• Johan SE3X
    Johan SE3X Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options

My settings. 73, Johan, SE3X

Ps. re DEXP no difference if I switch it off, or have it switched on.

• VE3DZP
    VE3DZP Member ✭✭
    Options

Mine dropped and stayed dropped. Running V3.4.21.14056. PTT works but no VOX.

I have multiple profiles for each band. With VOX not working went to my cw profile and then back to ssb,

and it worked.

• Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
    Options

My Vox drop out also , it seams to return after a short pause . With out watching the output power you will never know

• Ted S
    Ted S Member ✭✭
    Options

I have to wonder if the low latency Digital Mode filters were a military requirement, and not anything the amateur community was looking for.

Ted WR4T

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Ted, the folks who run ARQ modes (WinLink kind of stuff) have been asking for this for some time. These digital modes require a fairly fast turnaround time from TX to RX. Reducing the latency helps this aspect enormously.

• Gordon
    Options
    On the 6700, DAX on or off seems to make no difference. I was told last night that audio also dropped out when using PTT. I will have to follow up with more testing. The mic is using the balanced XLR input on the radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.