Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Display on Maestro has changed since updating firmware to 3.4.21

Options
W7QEX
W7QEX Member ✭✭

Can't figure it how to return the display to original layout. Any takers?

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Post a picture and explain what changed. We need more information.

Dave wo2x

• W7QEX
    W7QEX Member ✭✭
    Options

I figured it out....just needed to refresh my skills in finding my way around Maestro. I hadn't touched it for about 1.5 years and was updating the firmware.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Ok. I am glad you got it squared away. You original post was vague, that is why I asked for additional info.

Dave wo2x

• W7QEX
    W7QEX Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks....do you or anyone know what the current drain is on the battery in the Meistro. I know that it is not charged by the Maeistro (unfortunately), so I'm wondering how often it needs to be charged.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

The battery in the tablet will run the Maestro for about 1 or 2 minutes. For an external battery plugged into the USB cable, it really depends on the size, capacity and quality. If you search in this forum, there are a few discussions regarding it.

• W7QEX
    W7QEX Member ✭✭
    Options

My question wasn't clear...I meant the current draw when the Maestro is off or not connected to a normal 12 VDC supply. I realize that operation from the battery is impractical. Therefore I assume the purpose of the battery is to keep configurations alive when the system is off or unplugged. Just an assumption, not certain. So if the battery is never used, parasitic drain will dissipate the charge over time if it is not removed and charged. How often does that need to occur?

• W7QEX
    W7QEX Member ✭✭
    Options

I have searched the manual. No mention of the parasitic drain on the battery when the Maestro is turned off and disconnected from external power. So, if the Maestro is shipped in a case, it may be desirable to leave it internal to the Maestro.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

For standby operation:

On the older Model A Maestro (power button on top) you can go about 30 days before you need to plug it in. On some of the units, if you go longer than that, it may not boot requiring you to open it up or send it in get re-booted. This is unfortunate, but that is something that can happen.

On the current Model B Maestro (power button on the left side) you can leave it unplugged as long as you like. You will not lose any information since any profiles, etc, are actually stored on the radio.

In both cases, you will not lose any custom settings.

• W7QEX
    W7QEX Member ✭✭
    Options

I recently had to ship my "B" model. It remained in the Pelican case for 6 mo. The battery did discharge. Admittedly this was a planning mistake, as I accepted your explanation as fact. But the battery did discharge to zero. So I'm curious about the parasitic discharge rate or if it might be the battery's internal discharge rate.

What is the purpose of the battery if it can only provide a short operation?

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options

All Batteries have a small internal resistance and will self discharge over time, the Maestro DOES charge the Internal tablet Battery BUT the Maestro doesn't have enough charge current to get over the current threshold of a completely dead internal battery.

On My Maestro A, I simply bought some short (6" to 12") USB adapter cables with male, female ends and Micro USB and ran the cables out into the external battery compartment so if I don't remember to plug the 12 Volts in and the Internal battery runs down I simply unplug one jumper USB cable and plug it into the external Battery 2A jack or an external 2 to 3 amp 5V phone charger for 24 hours and change the plugs back to normal and away I go.

If I remember right I used the following cables on my Maestro A

MicroUSB right angle male to USB A Female about 12" to the DELL tablet.

MicroUSB male to USB A Male 6" to the Maestro control board.

The above two cables simply just replace the original (now non used) charge / Data cable that is stock in the Maestro and brings it out to the battery compartment for easy access so you don't have to open the Maestro case to charge the DELL tablet battery be sure to MARK these new cables because you will now have 2 USB A male plugs in this Battery compartment.

One cable with a Male to Male USB A Jumper to plug into the External USB battery charge packs 2A port.

Then the Appropriate cable to plug into your External charge source

Be sure to carefully route the cables inside the Maestro to not be pinched or put any pressure on the connectors, tablet or circuit board and secure it to the empty parts of the case with tape. Be sure to securely stow the Original USB charge/Data cable incase you need to return it back to stock.

I should have taken picture last week when I had it open when I had to change out the Lithium Battery in the DELL tablet because the Original Lithium battery had started to swell and put a bubble on the screen but I didn't think about it.

I am not sure what cables or connectors are required for the Maestro B so won't help everyone.

I bought the cables and replacement Battery on Amazon Hope this is useful

• W7QEX
    W7QEX Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Bret. I have the B version, which I've been told does NOT charge the battery. The battery is good for only power hits and not much more (opinion). just wanted to know how often it needs to be charged, considering all parasitic losses. It's a bit of a pain to remove my battery as it fits rather snuggly (30K MaHrs). Downsizing to physically smaller battery because of that. Going to make some measurements and will publish the results to the community.

Replaced the Battery in my Dell 2 days ago...what a pain!!!! The battery swelled and distorted the touchpad. The requirement to **** the case in order to get to the battery is really nuts. Many test instruments have replaceable batteries that just pop in and out thru a door.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.