Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

17 Meter FT8 Frequencies

Options
Geoff AB6BT
Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2023 in Amateur Radio Interests

I see conflicting information on the clusters regarding allowable transmission modes on 17 meters. Per the 3Y0J facebook page: 18.112 MHz FT8 Fox/Hound

Someone posted :"IARU Region 2 allows 18111 to 18120 ALL modes"

However, FCC Part 97 shows this:

(https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-97 )

I hope that helps.

Comments

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

For the US above 18.110 isn't allowed. The last I checked, they were on 18.106.

James

WD5GWY

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, that is what the Part 97 snippet shows.

3Y0J was operating FT8 on 18.112. At least that what all the spots showed.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Was that really him or a Pirate?

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Who knows???

The frequency was correct as noted by one of the US pilots:

Apparently the first log uploads will be this weekend when back on Marma.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

From EU, we could hear 2 stations with the call 3Y0J on 18112. One on even and one on odd. The one on odd was very strong with 3 streams which made me believe it was a pirate. But the logs will tell the whole story, once we get to see them. Late into the EU night on 30m, it was obvious a lot of USA stations were not using F/H and I see that Steve Hass has already confirmed that those stations are not logged. He has also been asked to pass on that USA needs the 3Y to be FT8 well below 18110 for 17m to conform with your regs. So hopefully they will now keep to 18106 as James witnessed.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Well, I beleive the Fox always transmits in the even slot.

Is that not the case?

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

Yes Geoff. There is a way around it which I am not going to describe here. But I am sure 3Y0J wouldn't do that and it cannot be done accidentally in WSJT-X. The doubt seems to arise from 3Y0J also one day on 21105 odd making people believe that they can and are using odd in multi-stream MSHV mode. But Steve Hass asserts that only F/H is used and, as you say, that means the even slot.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Erik

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.