Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

REMON usage (normal usage recommendations)

Hi - I just installed a Flex 6300 in my remote location.
So I have both APC PDU so I can control the DC supply to the Flex and I have a remote relay connected to the REMON RCA. This all works fine. (easy to disable the REMON relay)

The question I have is how I leave the radio when not in use.

I saw somewhere hinted that when you close connection to the radio (close the SmartSDR software) the radio will go into sleep/standby, not found this documented.

So I either just turn off the REMON always after I stop using the radio
or close the SmartSDR software and let the radio stay on until next usage.

any drawbacks of always turning off the radio?
I'm okay just leaving it on - if that is then ok.

73 de Benni TF3T

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Benni, this has been discussed often here. There is no definitively correct answer. Many leave their radios on continuously and many turn them off between uses.

Whichever way you are comfortable with will be fine. I turn mine on every morning and off every night before bed. I don't normally turn it on and off during the day.

• tf3t
    tf3t Member
    Thank you for your reply, I had searched a bit - and not found anything definitive. I was mostly thinking if the radio goes into some soft sleep when no client is connected (it was hinted by a friend). But the remote on function works well , and I'm not particularly worried about leaving it on - waiting for a connection.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

The reason I leave mine on all the time is because back when the 6000 series first came out they where considered a "Radio Server" and so I have ran my 6700 as a Radio Server since 2013 and it has only been powered down to do maintenance on the equipment a few times.

Before I retired and through out my 45 year carrier I maintained Thousands of peace's of Communications and computer equipment most on hard to reach, some over 10,000' (3KM) Mountain top sites here is Utah that had to stay on 24 X 7 365 and MOST of the times I had failures was when I had a power outage or powered them off to do maintenance, then when Powered it back ON the device would not return to working order.

Even your home TV's usually Only fails after you turn them off and then turn them on the next day.

An "M" series Radio is a different story, I always turned my 6600M off, what little bit I ran it because it drove me nuts having the screen being a GIANT night light, it was the BIG reason I sold mine and bought a ANAN7000DLE and I was NOT happy with the radio's quality even with all the HYPE and HOT AIR and sold it and found another beautiful 6700 and now I have two 6700's and happy as could be now to have a Backup F6700.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

It is your choice.

Using Remote On/Off does a clean shutdown of the radio with only the power controller running until you 'short' the RCA connector to turn it back on. I have used it this way for a long time.

But, I also treat it as a server and almost never power down my radio unless I am dealing with situations that could cause the power to bump.

• tf3t
    tf3t Member
    Thanks .. I come from the networking/telco world... and we have some 15+ year old Cisco's that have been running constantly (uptime over 8 years)..and I know they will probably not come up again if we lose power ;) So was just trying to find the best practises and experience.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

When this comes up as a topic in any electronic realm I use the incandescent light bulb analogy. These bulbs usually quit when turned on. Different tech, but helps some.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.