Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Powering Remote PGXL, TGXL

Options

I would like to use a Digital Loggers multi-outlet power switch to remotely turn power on and off to PGXL and TGXL. Can PGXL be left on and safely turned on and off by turning the 240V supply on and off? The TGXL is powered by a 14V linear supply that has a separate switch to turn current on to the TGXL after its power supply is turned on. Can I safely leave the TGXL power switch on?

Larry, K4KGG

Best Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

The way the PGXL was designed is very similar to the way your TV was designed. When you put the TGXL into standby, it powers everything down other than 1 little device to monitor the network. It is the power controller and it listens for an ON command on the LAN. That is the same as moving it from Standby to Operate.

In Standby, the power consumption is about the same as a normal TV.

But, yes, you can also turn off the 240V but make sure that you turn off 'both sides' of the 240 volt AC supply. This is the 2 HOT leads. You do not have to turn off the Neutral.

When you turn on the 240VAC, the PGXL will come up in StandBy mode.

Yes, you can leave the power switch on 100% of the time. I have been operating mine remotely for years in this way.

• Lawrence Libsch
    Lawrence Libsch Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice on remoting the PGXL.

What about the TGXL? My setup powers up a linear 13 volt power supply and then separately and secondly switches the power from the linear power supply on to the TGXL. If I do this can I leave switch on the back of the TGXL on?

Larry, K4KGG

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Remotely, I always suggest you are able to run off and on things for remote debugging/rebooting.

The TGXL actually wants a voltage higher than 15V (it says 15V on it). When supplied with less and a slow startup, the fans can get stuck on.

Answers

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2
    Options

I have noticed that the tgxl fans get stuck on when I cycle the supply and I am supplying with slightly more than 15 volts.

The only way I know to prevent that is to delay the tgxl power on input to allow the power supply to reach full voltage.

It would have been nice if it had a remote power on-off connection like the 6000 series radios…

I have noticed the 8x2 seems to be touchy when trying power it up remotely….also…

I use a 2 pole contactor to disconnect power to the pgxl remotely..

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I leave the Astron SS30 switching supply on but use a West Mountain Radio RigRunner 4005i to switch DC to TG XL and AG.

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭
    Options

That is a neat solution........I see the tgxl requires 15 volts but the astron ss30 and my supply are technically 13.8 volts...

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

There is a voltage adjustment on the side. I ran it up to 14.8 volts. The RigRunner 4005i shows voltage and current per port.

• Phillip Hare
    Phillip Hare Member ✭✭
    Options

Mike, what device do you use to remotely power your PGXL on with (240v)?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

I built my own. I use a 12V B&P DPST relay rated at 25 amps I think. However, it might not be legal for your electrical code.

However, look for Pool remote heater controls on Amazon as you can make them work I've heard.

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

I placed a relay on a dedicated branch circuit feeding the receptacle for the amp. The contactor on hand was a Schneider LC1D25G7. I use a WebRelay from https://www.controlbyweb.com/relays/ to turn the contactor on and off. It was not the cheapest route, but it works very well. The WebRelay has a fair amount of integration options that I have yet to really explore. I mostly leave the amp powered on in Standby mode, but it is nice to be able to turn it off/on and, of course, power cycle it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.