Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Receive Antenna Suggestions - Flex 6400

n1ah
n1ah Member ✭✭
Hi All! Im a new Flex owner (in love with my SDR!) - I have my antennas on a small lot with a huge tree (R5 Vertical, End fed 135ft sloper from way up in the tree, 41 foot end fed vertical wire) same tree. Id like to look into a receive only antenna to help - curious what you all use? I see some receive only loop antennas out there, wondering how they are? Or any other suggestions? (ie: run 200 ft of wire around the perimeter of the yard, etc)

Thanks in advance!
Adam N1AH

Best Answer

• Lou Laderman W0FK
    Lou Laderman W0FK Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Since you have a small lot, take a look at one of the Array Solutions SAL receive antennas. If you have more space available, take a look at the Hi-Z 2, 3 or 4 element phased receive antenna systems. A K9AY Loop is another possibility. Lots of DIY articles out there, and I think the electronics are still being sold. These also come up periodically in the ham ads. I've used all three antennas and they all work very well.

Lou W0FK

Answers

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

lots of choices. To experiment with an inexpensive wire receive antenna, try a loop on ground. A square or similar 15 feet on a side. Connect to the rx in on the flex. The signal level and the noise will drop a lot, but sometimes the S/N ratio is improved. The effect is somewhat directional. More on the web.

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

I use a W6LVP RX Mag Loop on the 6600 RX Ant port. Works well. dan de wa1qzx

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.