Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

N1MM sent CW quality

Options

Hi Folks,

I have a 6700 at a remote site and use SSDR V3.3.3 on a Dell XPS13 i7 laptop at home linked using Smartlink. Both sites have fibre internet. Home tests at 40MB down, 35MB up and 25ms Ping. Remote site speeds are 100MB down, 100MB up and 9ms ping. I think this is good enough for remote use?

I use N1MM for contests and have the Winkey set up to transmit the macro exchanges However an average of one in five transmissions sends poor CW, with a timing issue, part of a character missing or worse. I have been listening to myself on a local webSDR.

How do I improve the consistency of my sent CW? I reduced the panadapter view in SSDR to a minimum and closed cluster windows but no improvements were observed.

I have had this in the last few contests I have entered and each time have given up as sending badly is embarrassing.

Thoughts?

Steve, M0BPQ

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Hi Steve

There is a bug that shows up and CW can get corrupted after being up and running for some time (day).

I assume it is fine if you reboot the radio?

BTW, you can always listen to yourself on a 2nd receiver on your 6700 while running Full Duplex. No need to use a WebSDR (but, you can as well).

There is one other thing to consider is the N1MM CW Keying. I assume N1MM is a CAT connection to SmartSDR CAT on SmartLink running on the PC you are using? I doubt that is the issue as CAT is sending ASCII characters to the WinKeyer that is in the actual radio.

• Steve Bunting
    Steve Bunting Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options

Thanks, Mike - my radio is on 24/7/365 typically, but I will reboot and see if that fixes things.

I hadn't thought about the FDX to effectively get a sidetone out of N1MM for testing purposes. I will give it a go.

Steve, M0BPQ

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Full Duplex is a great tool that you have.

You won't break the radio doing it either.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.