Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to integrate both PGXL and TGXL with Non-Flex transceiver?

I am in the process of intigrating a PGXL and TGXL with my Anan 7000DLE MKII. I understand the connections if I only connect one to my Anan, but anyone know how to connect both Genius devices to a non-flex transceiver for band data?

Thanks.

James, W8GN

Tagged:

Best Answer

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Use two USB to serial adapters using the FTDI chipset. Plug them in one at a time in the PC running Thetis. Watch Device Manager to get the COM port for each. In Thetis under CAT, you can have multiple COM ports. Set up one for the amp and tuner, using the COM port numbers in Device Manager. Amp and Thetis baud rate needs to match. Tuner and Thetis baud needs to match. Select Kenwood 2 for radio selection in amp. Select Kenwood in tuner.

Dave wo2x

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

You will also need a PTT for both the PGXL and TGXL to get them to know when the Radio is Transmitting fast enough to make it all work, I had a ANAN 7K hooked up and ran the Radio in the house and the AMP and Tuner out in the shop and used 2 Node-Red Raspberry Pi's to get the RS-232 and PTT using a relay hat over the network.

I would use a low current 2 pole relay connected to the ANAN's AMP key out and have one pole of the relay go to the AMP and the other Pole go to the Tuner to keep things isolated.

Good luck

• James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭

Thanks Dave and Bret for the information.

I plan on putting the Anan, PGXL and TGXL in a 24U rack in my climate controlled basement. I think direct PTT should work from Anan to TGXL to PGXL with RCA cables. My dilemma is how to get the CAT RS-232 cables from there to the computer, needing two of them based on Dave's great advice. After looking around, I think maybe RS-232 over ethernet might be the best route here as it will be less than a 30 ft run.

I know a Flex 6600 would make this all so simple, but I'm just not ready to give up my Anan. :)

Thanks and 73,

James, W8GN

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I use the SILEX USB servers to do this and they work flawlessly I don't know if the one I uses is still available but I am sure they make a replacement if they aren't.

Mine is the DS-510 which has two USB ports which you can also plug in a USB powered switch to one of the USB ports on the DS-510 and have 9 USB ports.

I have the WaveNode Wattmeter still being used this way but when I had the ANAN 7K I had the AMP, Tuner and WN2.

It worked but it was what I thought was a cludge running remote like I was and didn't find the ANAN 7K really any better preformance then my OLD (2013) 6700 and really didn't like how hard it was to run remote when I was out of town.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Another option is a Raspberry api in the rack running Node Red. The Pi can communicate to the Anan using CAT over IP then the two USB to serial cables can connect to Node Red to feed frequency and mode info to the amp and tuner.

Dave wo2x

• Rob_K8YV
    Rob_K8YV Member ✭✭

What about using a startec (ICUSB23241) usb to 4 rs232 ports?

That should work.

Looking at the same and ANAN 7000 to the TGXL, PGXL and the Antenna Genius.

Anyone do all 3 yet?

Rob K8YV

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

I have, as I wrote previously except I used individual USB to serial cables.

I think you need to figure the cost in the mix as well, what cost less the 4 port USB/RS-232 controller + Male to Female DB-9 RS-232 Cables, Or two USB to RS-232 Cables and a USB Powered switch (if needed).

Remember the Antenna Genius does NOT have RS-232 but rather BCD control for wire line control other than Ethernet which is why I used Node-RED and the ANAN Thetis Flow Dave and I built to use Node-red's Ethernet ability talking to the RS-232 Radio Port.

The Specs say DB9 on the 4O3A Antenna switch's NOT RS-232 which is a little confusing.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.