Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RTTY Skimmer Server setup (again)

K1DBO
K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in Third-Party Software
After a couple of months of sitting idle for the summer I turned my 6700 on again and promptly upgraded to v2.0.19.  After having some fun with SmartLink and then the spectrum display in N1MM+, I turned my attention to RTTY Skimmer Server.  Before shutting down for the summer everything was working great.  After the v2 upgrade, not so much.  RTTY Skimmer Server took over control of panadapters but never fired up any decoders.  It was looking like it's not getting data from the 6700 but was able to control it.

Frustration set in and I uninstalled everything and eventually even lost my working RTTY Skimmer Server config files.  I'm pretty sure I can reconstruct them though as I went through enough pain to get them working in the first place that I probably remember enough of the details.  
But, the trouble I'm having is getting RTTY Skimmer Server to even recognize the 6700 at all.  Using the skimmer/sdr command only lists the QuickSilver device where I was expecting to also see the 6700.  I do remember having to copy some files from the SDR-Bridge install to RttySkimServ directory to get things going last time.  I even found a couple of posts talking about that but they seem to be out of date.

Is there an installation procedure for all of this that I've missed? At this point I have the most recent version of SmartSDR, SDR-Bridge, RTTY Skimmer Server, and CW Skimmer Server (also not working), and CW Skimmer all installed.  Suggestions would be much appriciated!

Answers

• Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited February 2020
    I will be attempting to setup RTTY Skimmer Server with SDR Bridge and SmartSDR V2 this evening, so will feedback my experiences. I have CW Skimmer working Ok ish.
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I couldnt get it working, so would be keen to hear your feedback

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    At this point I can run CW Skimmer with SDR-Bridge.  But RTTY Skimmer Server and Skimmer Server are still having trouble.  Launch either one and connect via telnet and issue the 'skimmer/sdr' command and '01 SDR-Bridge v1.5.1' will show as an option and they can now control the panadapters.

To get to this point, it's important to install SDR-Bridge after installing the skimmer servers.  The installer for SDR-Bridge writes files to the RttySkimServ and SkimSrv install directories.  These files are needed by the servers to communicate with the radio.  Do it in the wrong order and the needed files wont be available.

Now, I seem to be bumping into a different problem.  RTTY Skimmer Server isnt able to open the I/Q device.  In the DAX display the channels usually show as 'in use by another computer'.  Sadly it doesnt say which other computer.  There are a few threads here talking about this but folks seem satisfied when told to take the message literally and look for another computer that has a stream open.  In my case I dont.  Further, this doesnt seem to get in the way of CW Skimmer using the I/Q stream when launched from SDR-Bridge.

Back when everything was working I'd occasionally get into a state where jiggling the panadapter or toggling the stream number in the DAX interface was necessary to get things in sync.  So far, none of that helps.

...so, some progress at least.
  • Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited September 2017

I am in exactly the same situation as you described above. Shame as I was hoping to use this weekend.

One observation if the IQ Streams in Dax are selected and Yellow with the Busy and in use by another computer. If I terminate RTTY server then they turn blue and say streaming. I had read in another post they should be greyed out suggesting the rtty server doesn't use DAX to access the IQ streams.

Also setting DeviceName in the ini file to 01 or 02 doesn't seem to change the rtty server behaviour.

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    By any chance are you trying to connect things via SmartLink?  If so DAX (and thus Skimmer) will not currently work via SmartLink connection.   If using your radios locally using version 2.0 then do not use Smartlink to connect.  Use a normal SSDR conection and your interconnecting programs you used with DAX should be fine.
  • Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited February 2020
    When running SmartSDR for windows on the LAN there is no option to select a smartlink or non smartlink connection like there is on Smart SDR for iOS. CW Skimmer works fine so the IQ streams are working.
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Smartlink is not being used... just a regular LAN connection to the radio.
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I agree.
  • Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited February 2020

Does anybody at flex know if anything has changed in V2.0 that would prevent RTTY Skimmer working.

Rather than me continue investing time in trying to get it working.

Thanks

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    ...or can anyone in the community confirm that either Skimmer Server or RTTY Skimmer Server runs with v2.0?  With just a little encouragement I'll keep working at it, but right now I'm running out of ideas.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    ... did any try the free DL4RCK RTTY Skimmer ? Walter is also a Flex'er and author of RCK-RTTY and RCK-Log

http://www.sites.google.com/site/rckskimmer/

• Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited September 2017

Thanks, I will test that today.

.....After testing

It  supports PowerSDR and OmniRig but not SmartSDR Dax IQ

• Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited September 2017

I have sent an email to Alex the author of RTTY Skimmer.

I am now going to concentrate on getting N1MM Spectrum display optimised with the RBN and try to filter to meaningful spots.

I will try and get back to the RTTY Skimmer after this weekend RTTY contest. I am surprised there aren't more flex owners on the forum doing the data contests and looking to use tools like RTTY skimmer.

Shame we haven't had any input from flex as I know there was some revisions to the N1MM spectrum Monitor that uses IQ after V2 SW was released. The requirement for these changes may affect all SW that uses  IQ streams.

• Lars DF1LON
    Lars DF1LON Member
    edited September 2017
    I do have same situation here. It is the first time since the WPX RTTY I power up RTTY Skimmer again. It seems to connect to my Flex (the Flex bands follow the RTTY Skimmer configuration) with SmartSDR 2.0.19 but it looks as if the Skimmer DLL from SDR-Bridge does not decode anything. The bandscope remains fully empty and therefore no decoded call signs.

SDR is recognized as 4x96 khz but the band scope can be used from RX0 to RX7. I do not recall if it was the same behaviour last time.

• Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Skimmer Server and RTTY Skimmer Server connect but do not decode with either SmartSDR v1.11.12 or v2.0.17. They do work with v1.10.16. I am looking into a fix. In the mean time I suggest using the working version.

73 Ed W2RF
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Thank you for the confirmation.  
  • w7pp
    w7pp Member
    edited February 2018
    ED: Where does this stand...? Using SmartSDR v 2.0.19, any joy?
  • KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    any progress or workarounds?
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Ed's latest beta

http://www.qrv.com/download/SDR-Bridge_v1.6.4_beta_Setup.exe

has been working great for me with both SkimmerServer and RTTYSkimmerServer.

• KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    anything special to get it working with RTTYSkimmer, like copying .dll's around as i seen in various discussions...tks
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Just install SDR Bridge after you install the RTTYSkimmer server.  It copies at least one file into RTTYSkimmer server's install directory.  Make sure you have a couple of panadapters visible with the higher numbered daxiq channels assigned to them.  You might have to go into DAX and toggle the DAXIQ channels on/off... but I dont remember if RTTYSkimmerServer wants them on or off.  SkimmerServer wants them off.

But.. if you've never used RTTYSkimmerServer before, you'll have to dig into how it's config file works.  It's a bit tricky.
  • KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    ...thanks, sounds like fun times ahead as its my first go at RTTYSkimmer...
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭

Anything new on this or is it still rather tricky to get RTTY Skimmer Server to work ?

Andy K3UK

• Martin_G4ENZ
    Martin_G4ENZ Member ✭✭

Andy,

You might want to look at the SDC skimmer server from Yuri (UT4LW). It was originally targeted at Expert Electronics SDR kit using their TCI interface. After the Russian invasion of the Ukraine, Yuri rewrote it for SmartSDR. It uses the API to get an I/Q stream so you don't need to mess around with DAX IQ at all. As well as RTTY, it supports PSK and CW.

The software is free / donation-ware but needs a product key which Yuri provides in response to an email.

Development seems paused at the moment but then Yuri is working from a war zone!

73 Martin

• Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2022

Martin is correct. SDC skimmer works fine for both CW and RTTY without any "helper" programs (bridges, etc)

https://youtu.be/2kv--ANSgDo

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.