Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CTCSS/PL Tone notch filter

CTCSS/PL tone notch filter would be nice. I have a high quality audio system that shakes the walls of my shack when a CTCSS tone is received.
7 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I would like to see that as well. In the meantime, for FM repeaters, I turn the RX EQ all the way down for anything under 500 Hz and save that in my profile. It makes a big difference.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

Frankly, I fail to see the value of a repeater transmitting CTCSS. I suppose there are some exceptions but in most cases I believe it is unnecessary.

Having CTCSS on the repeater input make sense to me. Unless there is more than one repeater transmitting on the same frequency the normal squelch function should suffice.

Just my opinion...

• skotstanford
    skotstanford Member ✭✭
    I agree with you. Most all repeaters encode CTCSS. I have a JBL speaker system that I route all of my audio through. I can hear the tone louder than the voice at times. A filter is standard in all radios
  • Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin

If you live in an area where there are multiple repeaters on the same frequency, you will appreciate the ability to use the repeater's transmitted CTCSS tone to filter out the unwanted repeaters.

I have had hilltop QTH's before, and it was very handy to filter out a repeater in Indianapolis when I wanted to listen only to the one in Louisville, etc.

I also built a repeater in Paoli, Indiana that would turn on a CTCSS Tone whenever the repeater was activated for emergencies, nets, or Skywarn activity. With this feature we didn't need fancy Touch-Tone decoders to call up the emergency net. We just turned the CTCSS tone on with a control macro. When the activation was over, we turned the tone off. Those who had CTCSS Squelch on their radios would mute again.

It also allowed them to scan multiple repeaters and not get stopped on repeaters that were in "casual mode" But the scan would stop of the transmitter CTCSS was active.

We also had a publicly available macro that would activate the CTCSS tone for 10 seconds only, to allow someone to un-mute everyone's receivers to make a short call to a station who might be using the tone squelch function, then the repeater would turn the CTCSS off so as not to continue to disturb other stations.

CTCSS can be a very valuable option not only on the repeater INUT but also on the repeater OUTPUT.

(Yeah, I know, this is "nerd stuff." But it was fun!)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.