Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Do I have to get an Anan-7000 to get sexy skirts?

Options

Wow, look at the skirts on an Anan signal (see picture). What does it take to get this “sexy figure” on my Flex 6600? Is Flex working on Adaptive Pre-Distortion? I believe Anan calls it “Pure Signal”.

Dave

Best Answer

• Dave K5OZ
    Dave K5OZ Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Mike and Mike,

Thanks for the quick and informative responses! Yes, the flex has a very good signal; however, it’s IMD products are about 40 db down, whereas as the Anan pic above is more than 60 db down (I should have caught the scales in the picture). FYI, my noise floor at the 4khz bandwidth is -123dbm on 20M.

Mike (VA3MW),

I am glad to hear Flex is looking at the incorporation of ADP and apart of the clean signal initiative! Hopefully they can get it incorporated without any modifications to the hardware.

Thank you.

Dave

Answers

• Mike N9NTC
    Mike N9NTC Member ✭✭
    Options

I have both radios and there is not much difference in the transmitted signal on the waterfall.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

FlexRadio actually does have ADP functional on the bench.

However, you will find that a FlexRadio is very very clean. While you can sometimes see some spurs that are so weak that if you didn't have a Lab grade receiver, you wouldn't even notice them. The ability to see down to 4hz/pixel and an amazing minimal discernible signal.

FlexRadio is part of the Clean Signal Initiative.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This discussion is confusing. The picture looks like it is in receive mode, but pre distortion is transmit mode processing.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options

The photo is of the received signal from an Anan radio using Adaptive Pre-Destortion. AKA Pure Signal as implemented in the Anan radios. In other words, the OP is listening to someone transmitting with an Anan radio that is using Pure Signal.

James

WD5GWY

• Dave K5OZ
    Dave K5OZ Member ✭✭
    Options

Trucker,

You got it.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

So Mike, without asking for a commitment, do you think Adaptive Pre-Destortion will ever show up in SmartSDR? Or,was the bench test merely a proof of concept? I agree that the Flex 6000 Series radios already have a very clean transmit signal. So does the Icom 7300. But, there is always room for improvement. Honestly, I think most modern transceivers have a clean signal. The biggest problem I see is improper adjustment of the transmit audio path by the operator. And it becomes worse when driving an amplifier. It's the "all knobs to the right " syndrome.

James

WD5GWY

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi James, I agree. So many mis-adjusted rigs... If you want to see a bunch of really clean signals, get on the Sunday Flex net on 14.329 MHz. It starts at 2:00 ET, 1:00 CT, 12:00 MT, 11:00 PT. Either Dudley, W5QPZ or Gary W2CEA will be net control. Dudley also has a YouTube feed going so that you can see and hear your own signal as well as those of everyone else on the net.

Once in a while, someone overdrives their mic audio, and net control can usually get them back to clean pretty quickly. This is usually new Flex owners who haven't got everything dialed in. Otherwise, with almost all Flex rigs on the net, the signals are unusually clean across the net.

All that being said, I do hope Flex releases APD soon. Rob Sherwood always talks about better and better receivers, but transmitters just don't get the same attention. I asked him once if he felt that Flex was in the same boat, and he said no, but was hoping they would implement APD at some point.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I find setting radio power supply DC voltage at PA during 100 watt carrier to be 14.4 volts yields a cleaner transmit signal compared to most radios on the air.

A note on the DC. Oxidation buildup on the internal fuse connection or Power Poles can cause a significant voltage drop from power supply to PA. I recently replaced the Power Pole connector on my Dc cable to radio (not cable supplied by Flex). I use a very this coating of silver conductive grease on the metal of the Power Pole on cable then plug in in & out several times. I do the same on the internal blade fuse. This minimizes the voltage drop. Also power cable direct from power supply (Alinco DM330MVT) to radio and not through a Rig Runner.

I drive this into the Flex amp running on 220 volts and get very clean TX reports. Not as clean as adaptive predistortion but WAY better than a Yaesu FTdx-3000 and AlS1306 amp :-)

If you drive your amp to near rated maximum output, the IMD starts to increase noticeably. Running an SPE 1.3K at 1200 watts will be a lot more noticeable than running it around 900-1000 watts. The Power Genius has a pair of 1500 watt LDMOS devices which provide a lot of headroom and allow it to operate with lower IMD than an amp with a single 1500 watt LDMOS.

These are my k SWR stinks from on the air and having previously owned equipment mentioned.

73 and get on the air and most of all, have fun!

Dave wo2x

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    Options

There are pro's and con's to all rigs. I like my Flex-6700 mainly because of its 8 slice receive capability, and I like my ANAN 7000 DLE MkII for its NR2 receive function and APD (and other features). Both rig's have an excellent spectrum display. Ideally I'd like to find one rig that "does it all"... but unfortunately we're not there yet.

Butch, KF4HR

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.