Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TNF Markers.

Options
Mike Steventon
Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

I have recently been extensively using Tuneable Notch Filtering in order to knock out persistent QRM from internet broadband VDSL and other persistent local noises and am now wondering if it would be possible and advantageous to be able to select an "invisibility cloaking device" (like the Klingon battle cruisers on Star Trek!). The TNF function on the 6600M is absolutely brilliant and FAR superior to ANF function (let's not raise that one again!). However, I do find it distracting to have a myriad of yellow vertical lines (I select permanent TNF's) on the panadaptor, which can cause confusion with the slice marker, also in Yellow.

To be able to select optionally to hide the presence of the marker lines would be really classy. Could this be considered in a future update? The received interference lines would of course still be visible on the waterfall display, and one could still access the stored TNF points and delete them if desired, or indeed temporarily switch them off by the handy tool already available on the radio controls screen.

Any else agree?

Mike G4GWH

2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe add a separate color selection for the TNF that the user can select. Personally, I find it a huge PIA to set tracking Notch Filters on my 6600M. But, used for things like spurs etc, then they are fine. I use a Timewave 599zx DSP outboard filter to Notch out carriers instead of the poorly working ANF in SmartSDR. Much better performance than the one in SmartSDR. And the Noise Reduction in the Timewave is slightly better as well. Maybe someday Flex Radio will care enough to fix those and other basic features they have let languish for years in SmartSDR.

Miracles do happen!

James

WD5GWY

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

On mine, the permanent TNF filters are green. I also use them as band edge markers, which also serve to block out of band transmission products when operating near the band edge.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Tracking Notch Filters only block the frequency where they are placed. They have no effect on spurs/harmonics, from outside a particular band unless they are placed specifically on the frequency that the spurs / harmonics occur.

James

WD5GWY

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I do the same as John does and use it as markers as well as fantastic filters.

Very easy to set up using SmartSDR with the screen zoomed in quite a bit to make sure it is easy to see and configure. Right click on the filter to set the depth and width of the filter then lock it on then zoom back out and there you go, Filters, Markers etc.

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting replies and comments! I really do like the idea of using TNF markers at each amateur band edge. I must have a go at that!

When I select TNF on my screen it actually comes up as a GREEN vertical line. Only when I choose to make it permanent does it change colour to YELLOW. Either way, my original suggestion still is put forward i.e. Could there be any way that the marker line (yellow OR green) could be made to become invisible after having placed it on screen. It would clear up the general clutter on the Panadaptor section of display.

An example screen-shot:

It would be SO nice to hide the yellow lines!!

73 Mike.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.