Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What kind of license? Extended TX

Options
w7azc
w7azc Member
edited December 2022 in Amateur Radio Interests
What kind of license? Amateur Radio License? “An approved and in-date government-issued license is necessary to purchase this option.”

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

In order to achieve transmit out of the amateur bands, you require the Extended Transmit Board for the FLEX-6400 or FLEX-6600 and a software key, which there is no charge for.

In order to get the Key, you need to open a support ticket and provide Government documentation from your country that allows you to transmit out of the amateur radio band.

Answers

• w7azc
    w7azc Member
    Options
    Thank you but the problem is to get a license to be on MARS is you need a radio that can TX on MARS frequencies hard to get if you won’t MARS mod a radio without said license.
  • w7azc
    w7azc Member
    Options
    1.2.1.3. FCC License Class.
    Applicants and/or current members must hold a valid amateur radio operator's license issued by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
    1.2.1.4. Station Requirements.
    1.2.1.4. 1. Applicants and/or current members must have an operational HF radio station prior to acceptance into the AFMARS program.
    1.2.1.4.2. HF stations must be capable of operating on MARS frequencies, assigned by Region AFMARS officials.
    1.2.1.4.3. New HF stations must have the capability of operating voice and digital modes specified by HQ USAF MARS. Digital mode is defined as any computer-generated signal other than continuous wave (CW).
    1.2.1.4.4. Unless specifically exempted from this requirement, all H radio equipment must have a frequency stability and tolerance of +/- 20 Hz as set by the NTIA.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

So buy a 6500 or 6600. Then you have a radio capable. It is capable but inhibited until you show proof of license. Once you do that we can sell you the extended TX module and send the turf file for your specific radio to unlock the MARS/SHARES bands.

Simple enough.

Dave wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Oh and as a reminder, even with extended TX enabled, the radio will not operate on 11 meters.

Dave wo2x

• w7azc
    w7azc Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    It’s more the point 5k radio and the company tells you what you can or can’t do to but FCC says I can but it my responsibility to be legal. You must be able to TX on MARS frequencies prior to getting your membership into AFMARS you do have to participate in nets prior to getting your membership. I don’t care about 11 meters but It can there is a couple C.B. pages all about how to mode Flex radios and they do have file moded for 11 meters. So I guess I’ll be not buying a Flex Radio sorry to be a pain 73.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

It does not say “Must be able”.

It says Must be capable.

The Flex 6400, 6500, 6600, and 6700 are all capable. To be FCC type certified we must sell the radio with transmit restricted to amateur bands only. Just like the YaeKenCom radios out of the box are restricted. They do not transmit on MARS or SHARES as sold.

Dave wo2x

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

@w7azc

Hi, we do hear your request. FlexRadio has taken the path we have as a part of the business model.

We have many many other customers who have purchased FlexRadios for MARs use without issue. A surprisingly large number actually.

If you change your mind, we are here to help you out.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think the older 5000, 3000, 1500, and 6000 series (6300, 6500, or 6700) all just need a TURF file which FLEX will send you to run once on the Radio, at least this is how it used to be and I have my 6700 setup for MARS now and is what I did to for both my old Flex5K and the 6700 extend TX, My Friend also set up his newer 6700 with the TURF file last year.

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Well, here's two for you. Until we sold our "Chris Craft" I had a Marine License.... I also have a Commercial General Radio Telephone that allows me to work on gear and have had that since 1974 and put myself thru college in various 2 way shops, etc. With the Shipboard License I could run up to 150W out on the HF Marine bands... With the General Radiotelephone and the Shipboard license, I can run up to 3KW output on the marine band. Is there a turf file that will make that work with my 6500? (Part TWO, Back in the day when I was still flying, I was a CAPTAIN in CAP and also was In AF Mars) giggle

Erika DD

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

No “First Phone”? No Ship Radar Endorsement?

• Arizona Mike
    Arizona Mike Member ✭✭
    Options

It's really no big deal.

Submit you application to the branch of MARS you wish to join. Order the radio with the extended transmit board installed and if your MARS Operating Authorization comes prior to receiving the radio, copy FLEX and they will ship you the radio already activated.

If not, you can activate by filing a support ticket.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.