Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLEX 6600-RADIO PANEL

S58M DARE
S58M DARE Member ✭✭
edited December 2022 in SmartSDR for Windows

Hello!

Im owner an FR6600 and have one question if anyone can answer.

Is it possible to configure a Radio Panel on another Slice, because I would like to have Slice A on one monitor and Slice B on the other monitor? If this is possible, can someone advise me how to do it?

Thanks for the advance reply.

73 Dare

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Yes, you can drag the 'box' out from inside SmartSDR.

Look closely and it should pop out.

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭

In my opinion it is not a “drag” but is a “click” of a small (really small!) angled-arrow icon in the upper right of the radio panel. When you click that then the panel is placed into its own window that can then be moved to any monitor.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

John is correct. Open the second slice in a new panadapter then in the upper right corner of the panadapter it will detach that panadapter when clicking the arrow.

Dave wo2x

• S58M DARE
    S58M DARE Member ✭✭

Hello to all,

Thanks for your answers.

Yes, I did that too and moved the Slice B to another monitor. However, I am asking if it is possible to also have a Slice B Radio panel. This is the panel where the power is set, where Delay, Speed, Sidetone, etc. are determined. This Radio panel is on Slice A, but on Slice B I can't find this arrow to open the Radio panel.

73 Dare

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Dare, there is only one panel. It shows the information for the active slice. To show slice B, click on the flag which will activate it.

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭

You can also do the same for the radio panel that is handy to locate it where you want it for convenience.

There is a lot of capability in configuration alternatives. I use two computers and 4 screens on my local network to increase the computing power of my station. This is without using Multi Flex. I can still have Multi Flex as an external user. You may not see a need for this today by my experience as an amateur we keep pushing the envelope in what we need.

To use a second computer with SmartSDR, you operate the first computer normally. On the second computer you do not start SmartSDR. You start DAX and CAT on the second computer that uses DAX audio from the other SmartSDR on the first computer. I also use SliceMaster 6000 to manage the CAT configurations on both computers.

Your operation is only dependent on your creativity. My 6600 operates on 4 bands (two antennas) I can run SSB, CW Split, RTTY and FT8 all at the same time. This includes the use of CW Skimmer, spots and JTAlert. I use TX offset to run split instead of Flex’s SPLIT function that saves a slice. This is a lot of processing that can over load the CPU.

If the CPU is above 100% for an instant you can miss decodes and audio glitches. The glitches are interrupts caused by windows stopping normal processes while resolving the CPU overload.

As your configuration get more capability I would suggest putting your network equipment on a UPS. Including internet modem. A power momentary disruption will be confusing as to what happened. Both of my computers are also on UPS.

Bill

W9JJB

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭

I don’t think you can run two SmartSDR instances on the same computer and two monitors. I at times run two instances of SmartSDR with the second instance on the second computer on the local network.

There is a possibility that you can control some of what you want using FRStack and SliceMaster 6000. Don’t overlook FlexMeter to display some things on a second monitor.

I have not used Red Node but has exceptional power and capability.

Bill

W9JJB

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭

Dare,

You may want to investigate if you can set up two separate windows environments on the same computer that may allow you to run a separate instance of SmartSDR.

There is not a simple solution to what you want to do, like clicking a button. The simple solution it to just have the single radio panel, put it where you want it independently from the slices then use focus to click between the two rig control panels. EG why would you to change these functions at the same time.

Just thought of another possibility. Use a different rig control software like Ham Radio Deluxe to control the slices separately. I have done that.

Bill

W9JJB

• S58M DARE
    S58M DARE Member ✭✭

Hello Bill,

Thank you for the really comprehensive information. As I see it, there are many possibilities, you just have to dare, HI.

Good info about the UPS because I notice it happens a lot when there are fluctuations in the mains.

It is also a good idea to have two computers where you could probably run your own Slice.

BTW, what program are you using for SO2R?

73 Dare

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭

Dare,

I am not sure of your question on SO2R.

In the strict sense I don’t run SO2R because I can’t monitor other bands while transmitting. I have no bandpass filters to protect the radios front ends. I have restricted space so physical separation is not possible.

I do work multiple contacts in virtually the same time by choosing which slice I respond to. I have not investigated this as I didn’t want to put my radio at risk of my making a fatal mistake.

When using 4 slices of FT8 I have to decide which station I want most. In the receive cycle I can view the waterfalls of all channels and set TX freq on a clear frequency. But I can’t monitor any slice while transmitting. I do make a strong effort to respond to callers on any of the slices eventually after completing my first choice.

If I want to work an important station for me I will put two or 3 slices on the same frequency and use two different decoders and/or antennas to improve my odds of not missing a decode. EG a dxpedition.

Bill

W9JJB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.