Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex Remote operation-SSB

Can you work SSB on a remote PC without the Maestro?
In my case, would be on the same network.

Thanks,

Brad

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Brad, Yes! You can use SmartSDR on the local network or remotely from anywhere in the world that there is Internet access using SmartLink.

You can use WiFi, but it will generally not perform as well as cabled connections.

• bradrcfii
    bradrcfii Member
    edited November 2022
    Do you use a USB based headset?
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

My normal operation is either with the speakers on the radio and a desk mic or a Yamaha CM-500 headset plugged directly into the radio.

When I am remote in my camper and no one is with me, I often just use the PC mic and speakers. For Field Day or when my wife is with me, I often use the CM-500 plugged into the PC using a Y cable.

I have not used a USB headset but can say that any audio (including my CM-500) plugged into a Windows PC will have quite a bit more latency than audio plugged directly into the radio. For casual operation, the latency doesn't matter much to most operators and may not even be noticeable. For contesting, it is more noticeable, but not necessarily harmful. Mike, VA3MW often talks about the other station responding to the first call that they can understand, not necessarily the first signal to hit the air.

• I see, the headphone plugs to the computer sound card. Right?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Yes. Correct

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.