Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DIV tab

Options
Bruce
Bruce Member
edited March 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
I see nothing in the manual about the DIV tab on the slice flag,  I have read some posts about DIV but have no idea of what is going on when I click on the tab.... seems to open another slice flag but I cant see what it does...any help???

Answers

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Can you show a screen shot of where you are seeing DIV? I don't see anything with DIV on the flag just DSP and DAX
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Please refer to Section 21 in the SmartSDR Softeware User's Guide for a description on using Diversity Reception.

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options

Page 85 in the manual should help you out:

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr-software-users-guide-pdf/

"

HOW TO OPERATE DIVERSITY RECEPTION (FLEX-6700 ONLY)

Diversity Reception is a powerful method for improving the reliability of a message signal by using two or more communication channels with different characteristics. Diversity is very useful for aid reception in weak and fading (QSB) signal conditions. With optimally configured antennas, weak signal QSB copy can be improved up to 75%.

Two common diversity methods are space and polarization. Both of these methods use separate antennas to receive different versions of the same signal. The FLEX-6700 incorporates two fully independent Spectral Capture Units (SCUs) that allow two separate antennas to be simultaneously digitized. The analog to digital converters (ADCs) on the respective SCUs are driven from a single clock source to provide stable synchronous reception.

Note: Since the FLEX-6500 and FLEX-6300 use a single SCU, they are not capable of diversity reception.

For best results antennas should be de-correlated in some way so that fading on one antenna is likely to be seen as increased signal strength on the other antenna. .... [Much more in manual]

Steve K9ZW

• Bruce
    Bruce Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thank you... the problem is that the manual does not list DIV and unless one knows what DIV stands for, it wont be found :)

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options

That would sure be a simple edit to include.

I'm very fond of manuals which presume I don't already know the material the manual covers, as that assumption often is right!

A professional industrial "instructions writer" once told me he asked his wife and/or then teenagers to try an follow written instructions as a sort of acid test.

I think what he really meant is that he had a test subject who didn't know the process do trial runs to see if his instruction manuals made sense to the uninitiated.

Good suggestion Bruce!

Steve K9ZW

• W7NIK
    W7NIK Member ✭✭
    Options

So i just realized i have the DIV . So the Question , i f put 1200 watts, in DIV mode ANT1 do transmit back into ANT2?

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options

W7NIK,

Not unless you enable FDX (Full Duplex) with a 6600 or 6700.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

@W7NIK

The radio will protect you from transmitting via itself back to the radio. Now, if you plug your TX antenna into an RX input, that isn't a good idea and will damage the front end of the radio.

You do want to keep in mind that even if your VFO is not on the exact frequency RF energy will always travel on any path it can find back to the radio.

• W7NIK
    W7NIK Member ✭✭
    Options

thank you

FDX off makes sense , I did the research with RX ant on ANT2 transmit on ant 1, 1200 watts the reciver on Ant switchs off an if I remember right 45 db isolation . Never did a test with DIV enabled .

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.