Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

So, what was the problem with the firmware?

Trucker
Trucker Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2022 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

Now that the dust has settled somewhat with the firmware problems for the 6300,6500 and the 6700, I think it would be good for everyone to know what the actual problem was and why it affected only those particular models.

Is it possible something similar could happen with the 6400/M and the 6600/M? I was glad my 6600M wasn't affected. But, having had two of the earlier models ( 6300 and 6500) I would like to understand what exactly happened and why it happened. There is always the possibility I might aquire one of the earlier models ( possibility the 6700) and it would be reassuring to know this type of problem won't, or is unlikely to happen again.

James

WD5GWY

Comments

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭

I wasn't paying much attention at first but I must say, FR's silence on this has become deafening.

Given how dishonest a company FR is at the management level (happily taking customer's money for antenna tuner options they knew **** well hadn't worked for years, marketing people claiming all manner of things that aren't true ("we NEVER delete posts", "everything we sell has always been shipped free"), the CTO claiming their radios are D*, and FreeDV capable when he sure better know they hadn't been for years), who knows what they're hiding.

And if they're hiding it, by definition it's probably something we should know about.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Honestly, I wasn't looking for conspiracy theories. I was hoping that someone at Flex Radio who is familiar with the actual cause of the problem would chime in with an answer. It would be interesting to me to know how and why this issue occurred in the first place. Not that there was anything we as end users could have done to prevent it. But, it would be reassuring to know that it won't happen again. Or happen to the other 6000 Series radios at a later date.

I did read somewhere a suggestion that an unhappy developer may have left a time bomb in the firmware code. But, I seriously doubt that is what happened. But, it could have been the case as the problem started on the same day and progressed as users with the effected radios powered them on from that date forward.......so it is possible.

James

WD5GWY

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭

Yeah, agree. I'm very much not a conspiracy theory person and didn't mean to imply one here. Further, a "conspiracy" isn't required in the first place.

Flex Radio Executive Management are patently dishonest. Based on their past behavior it's easy to believe they've decided it's in their best interests to keep whatever happened a secret even if doing so is at their customer's expense. It's what they do. And if that's the case, I'd like to know what they're hiding. As you and many others have said, it could well be relevant to choices we have to make.

If it isn't the case, I'd like to know why they've chosen to ignore the many requests to explain what happened. Simply answering the question honestly would put an end to the concerns. If they have nothing to hide, knowing their customers are concerned why aren't they just doing that ?

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Your questions are legitimate. But, not knowing your reasons for saying that Flex Radio's management is dishonest I have a hard time understanding why you would say that. My experience and interaction with them, including the founder and the current CEO ( the founders son) has never led me to believe they are dishonest. Quite the opposite actually. While there are things they don't share with their customers, I have found that they are more open in some ways than their contemporaries in the same industry. They have been quite frank about not sharing upcoming updates for software and hardware. They learned the hard way in the past when they failed to meet self imposed dates of release . People raised Cain when that happened. So that eventually led them to remove the Roadmap they once provided. Being a small company involved in two industries ( commercial government and Amateur radio) has forced them to prioritize their resources. And the government contracts pay much better than Amateur radio products. Like any company, they have to pay the bills to keep the lights on. And pay their employees in a highly competitive business. I don't begrudge them focusing on the part of their business that produces the most income. I just hope they don't abandon the Amateur Radio side of their business.

But, all the above is way off track from my original post and questions. I still hope they will or can, explain what happened. It may not even make sense to me. But, still I think it would be good to know.

James

WD5GWY

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭

Again, I agree. It would be good to know and that is the point.

I could derail the thread with descriptions of FR's Executive Management's history of dishonesty. It has nothing whatsoever to do with being secretive about update timelines. Pretty much all companies do that. I listed a couple examples in my original post and have complained about it many times as it occurred on this and other forums along with very many others so I'd just be repeating all of that to no current purpose. I only bring it up here because this appears to be just another example of it. Someone might argue "If it were important to their customers, FR would tell us so don't worry". The point is, nobody should be surprised if FR Executive Management is being dishonest and concealing something they should be transparent about with their customers. Basically, its "here we go again ...". I'd love for FR to prove me wrong this time. All they need to do is answer the question. They well know you and I are very far from the only customers concerned about it.

By the way, I also have an extremely high opinion of FR's employees. Not only are they never the problem, they actually suffer for it as much or more than their customers do. And I've had exactly the same opinion of FR's new CEO as well - seemed to be a great guy who actually "gets it". This seems like a material test of that however and I am disappointed at the outcome so far. We'll see.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Since this thread has drifted off its intended topic, I would appreciate it if a moderator would either close or delete this thread. I had no intention of making this a bash Flex Radio management thread. I had asked a simple question that I have an interest in learning the answer to. Nothing more and nothing less.

James

WD5GWY

And yes I have complained many times about problems with Flex Radio software. But, bashing the company's management or its employees was,and never will be what those complaints are about.

• In the absence of knowledge most of us tend to go to the negative.. a human type of thing. I catch myself doing it. On a positive note, my 6500 and 6600 are whirring along at .33 and seem happy to me. No harm, no foul! 73!

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi all

The problem affected the 6300, 6500 and 6700 radios only.

Internally, the problem was easily identified and fixed. Q/A took a few days to be sure it was fully resolved. It was not related to any external sources so nothing to worry about there.

FRS isn't going to share what happened at this time for a variety of reasons that makes sense and are part of protecting their Intellectual Property. This policy isn't related to just this event and the policy is in effect 100% of the time.

This discussion has been closed.