Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using Digital Programs on a Windows Computer with Slices controlled by another Client Device (such a

Ken Wells
Ken Wells Community Manager admin

I have published an article in the HelpDesk that should help users who want to operate "cross Platform" with digital programs running on a Windows computer, but with slices controlled by another Client Device.

This article is aimed at the Mac User, but the principles apply for other clients as well.

Using Digital Programs on a Windows computer with slices controlled by another Client Device (Like SSDR-Mac) – FlexRadio

I hope it is helpful

Comments

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

And if you have an “M” radio, you can also throw the M-front end GUI in the mix, too. I often have multiple GUI connections running and use one or more independent computers to operate digital (Mac / Linux / Windows).

• AF3K
    AF3K Member ✭✭

Thank you Ken!

I never thought to do this. It was simple to try and it seems to work well! I was able to run SmartSDR for Mac while using a Windows PC to run WSJT-X and JT Alert. I was able to use my usual Windows logging program, so no need to try and synch logbooks after the fact. Another bonus was the Antenna Genius utility on Windows also worked with SmartSDR for Mac. Looking forward to trying more apps!

John, AF3K

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭

Thanks for writing up our experiences on this Ken! This configuration design helps me to keep my digital programs (which are running on a PC in my case) as close as possible to the Flex radio — thus keeping latency low while running any of my client apps remotely for SSB.

The overall ecosystem is extremely FLEXable! 😉🤝

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin

I just updated the article to provide pictures and updates for using this technique with a slice controlled by SmartSDR for IOS in an iPad.

• N5YT
    N5YT Member ✭✭

I’ve operated this way for a while, running SmartSDR for Mac with my digital programs and logger on a windows machine. The only thing I dislike is the TX button showing busy and having to toggle it when switching to a slice with DAX TX enabled. It doesn’t do that when using SmartSDR for Windows. I sent Marcus an email about it a few months ago and he said that he would look into it.

• Arizona Mike
    Arizona Mike Member ✭✭

Using this methodology, I have been able to use MAC SSDR and the MARS MS-DMT modem.

Have tried to do the same with the MAC version of CAT and DAX, but the MS-DMT program does not play well with TCP/IP. Perhaps one day soon.

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭

@Arizona Mike - this is how I run my remote MARS/SHARES PC programs too, while my client is either the Mac or Windows program.

• @John WA7UAR

Thanks John.....

• johnwatsonusa
    johnwatsonusa Member, Unconfirmed
    > @"Ted VE3TRQ" said:
    > And if you have an “M” radio, you can also throw the M-front end GUI in the mix, too. I often have multiple GUI connections running and use one or more independent computers to operate digital (Mac / Linux / Windows).

> @"Ken Wells" said:
    > I just updated the article to provide pictures and updates for using this technique with a slice controlled by SmartSDR for IOS in an iPad.

Provide the article link ?
  • johnwatsonusa
    johnwatsonusa Member, Unconfirmed
    Thanks for focusing on those points that created many windows problems with many people
  • Craig Gagner
    Craig Gagner Member ✭✭

I'm running SmartSDR client on an older win10 machine and running nothing but Dax, CAT and WSJT-x on a nicer/faster Win11 computer with the idea being the WSJT-x computer will have a better opportunity to put its resources to decoding. Verdict is still out.

Great feature in that I can run a single instance of WSJT-x for example interfacing with a remote 6300 and 6700. Lots of FLEXibility.

w7phg

• rdbrown01
    rdbrown01 Member
    This is exactly what I am doing to run the Kentucky Winlink Net. Using SmartSDR on my MAC and running Winlink and Vara on a PC. I feeding audio via DAX and for PTT I use Virtual Serial Port to map a com port to the TCP port for CAT in the MAC version of SmartSDR