Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote power off

VA3MRJ
VA3MRJ Member ✭✭

I understand the part about shorting the remote jack but what I do not understand is how it works. I want to remote install my 6400, I do not want the power supply running 24/7 and I have a wi fi switch to turn it off. But, my understanding is you should not power off the flex by turning off the power supply but rather with the switch on the radio, which is not possible in a remote install. Can someone explain the operation for me?

Best Answers

Answers

• VA3MRJ
    VA3MRJ Member ✭✭

My radio is not an M series. So, does opening and closing the contacts on the remote jack turn the radio on and off? For the time being I am operating local, will the radio turn on using the front panel switch if the shorting plug is not installed.

Thankyou for walking me though this, I am having a mental block.

• VA3MRJ
    VA3MRJ Member ✭✭

Many thanks, very clear now.

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭

Can I assume this method of turning the radio on and off would also be good for an M series radio if the power supply is always turned on?

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Yes, if the DC power is always on then you can just use the Remote On jack to turn the radio on & off without delay. The delay on M series radios is only between turning ON DC, then either pressing power button or Remote On jack.

Dave wo2x

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭

Great! Thanks Dave!

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

If you have a remote 6600 and need a factory reset is it really necessary to pull the powerpole out of the back of the radio?

Is it ok to turn the radio off with Remote On/Off, wait 2 minutes, turn off the power supply outlet, wait 30 seconds, turn on the power supply outlet, and wait 2 minutes before starting the radio?

Also is there a way to simulate holding the radio's ON button in long enough for it to change color?

• w1om
    w1om Member, Unconfirmed
    For the Remote ON/OFF phono plug, I use a 2N3904 transistor and a 25K Ohm base resister along with an old I-Phone USB charger to get 5 volts and low current to switch the transistor. The I-Phone charging plug plugs into a Kasa remote power switch. The entire 2 component circuit is inside heat shrink tubing in line the cable. This works great for putting the radio in power-down mode. I have another Kasa remote switch that can then power down the whole power supply and station.
  • Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭

We have a 6400 with permanent shorted RCA plug. During sunny seasons ,we switch the 12V Power with a 30Amp small relay , driven by 12V from the stations main supply , which itself is powered over a tasmota controlled wifi switch. During deep winter, when solar power gets too low, we just plug the 6400 into the main 12V supply .

This has worked since 2019 when we got the machine. May be it takes longer to fire it up, but we have no problem with that. When using locally , we just switch the main supply on and get the power into the 6400.

Harry

DL9NDW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.