Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400M Tuning Encoder Grinding Sound

Options
WT3J
WT3J Member
edited September 2022 in Maestro
Hey Folks. Bought my 6400M new in May of 2021 and am generally very happy with the radio for my use, which is about 70% CW and 30% Phone, mostly casual 40, 20, and 10 meters. The only problem I had found was the CW keyer issue with it randomly acting up after having left the radio on for several days. Ran into that while trying to work some contest stations and verifying the issue here on the forum. Thanks for that.

This one is hardware related. All of a sudden a couple of days ago, the main tuning wheel started making grinding sounds while tuning. It would get worse if I spun the dial faster, and seemed a bit worse when tuning up as opposed to down. Did not make a difference if I clicked in on the dial to get the menu up or not. I am preparing to retire out of the country, so any issue with the radio would be at a very bad time for me. So I tried the obvious - got out a hex wrench and took off the dial. Check out the attached photos. Much to my surprise I found a do-nothing bolt stuck in the back of the finger guide of the knob, and held in place with a piece of white tape! The tape had aged and loosened up, allowing it and the bolt to scrape against the tuning encoder! WTH???

Once I removed the obviously unneeded bolt and put the knob back on, it spins perfectly fine with absolutely no resistance or noise. Comments?

John - WT3J

Comments

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I believe the nut is there to balance the knob.

• WT3J
    WT3J Member
    Options
    Interesting. Then it should be held in place better. Thanks.

John - WT3J
  • WT3J
    WT3J Member
    Options
    You are correct. The balance was not quite perfect without it, so I searched the junk box and found a toroid that was about the right size and weight. Holding it in place now with some silicone sealant. Gotta be better than tape that can age and fall off.

I guess the knobs are drilled out for the finger slot without any compensation, maybe by a 3rd party. Did not expect that...
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Sound like a good and more permanent fix.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.