Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Manually keying the transmitter in DAX mode

I have a 6400. I want to manually key the transmitter with a footswitch in DAX mode.. I can click the MOX button with the mouse and the audio comes thru fine. But not the footswitch connected to the rear PTT jack. I am guessing it can be done with the SmartCAT/PTT but I have tried every combination to no avail. Any help would be appreciated :)

Steve/KW5TX
Tagged:

Answers

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

It might depend on the version of smartsdr you are running. I am able to do what you want to do, key the radio with a hand trigger plugged into the ptt rca connector on the back of the radio while dax is turned on and have mic audio. I remember some time ago (a couple years) when this was enabled in one of the smartsdr updates. I run the current update version 3.3.32.

• STEVE_KW5TX
    STEVE_KW5TX Member ✭✭
    I am running the latest as well (3.3.32).
    But at least i NOW KNOW its possible :)
    Thanks Larry!
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Steve, If you are sure that you switch is in the PTT jack (and fully seated), take a look at TX Band Settings to be sure that you do not have PTT Inhibit selected on any of the bands that you expect to operate. Go to Settings, TX Band Settings.

Next, check to be sure that the RCA jack is set for Active Low. Go to Settings. Radio Setup, TX tab.

If all that is OK, you might want to use an ohm meter to check that the switch is working or try a different switch.

• STEVE_KW5TX
    STEVE_KW5TX Member ✭✭
    Len,
    Thanks for the reply. The PTT switch works fine... until the DAX is turned on. Then it engages... but no audio comes thru. ALTHOUGH if I use the MOX button instead of the footswitch(or plunger)... the audio comes thru fine. Using the REAR PTT switch does not pass DAX audio. But the MOX button does pass the audio. make sense?

7 3 :)
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Wow... Mine behaves just the opposite. If I have DAX engaged as the audio source, clicking MOX gives me no audio out, but closing the PTT line does. I think we both have the same setup - Flex 6400 on 3.3.32. I wonder what parameter is set to make the two behave differently.

@Mike-VA3MW any insight here Mike?

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I think Stev is talking about a different TX audio source.

When DAX TX is enabled, the physical PTT allows mic/balanced audio to pass while muting digital audio through DAX.

If you are looking to have a PTT source to pass DAX audio then look at making a CAT PTT port.

Steve, what exactly are you looking to do?

Dave wo2x

• STEVE_KW5TX
    STEVE_KW5TX Member ✭✭
    Id like to be able to manually key the radio (w/ rear ptt) and pass DAX audio from the computer. I use a program for microphone processing and need the DAX audio. Which works superbly. :)
    BUT... I have to "key the radio" with the MOX button. Id "rather use a Heil plunger or footswitch. But when I use the PTT KEY on the rear... it only passes audio from the mic input on the back.

Did that make any sense? :)
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Steve

I think your use of DAX is a show-stopper.

There are other ways to get audio to the Flex, for using your "program for microphone processing."

Are you interested? I see from your QRZ page you are using external audio processing, local to the radio. Have you considered using an audio interface to provide a line-level input to the Flex BAL XLR input?

Alan

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

For external rack gear in, you can use a W2IHY iBox as level and impedance matching from rack gear to mic input.

If you want to use DAX, you can create a CAT PTT port using a physical com port on your PC and use RTS or DTR for keying.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.