Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Flex 6400 with mac software?

ldelatorre
ldelatorre Member ✭✭
edited August 2022 in SmartSDR for Mac
I'm interested in the Flex 6400 but I need to run it with a Mac. I see SmartSDR on the Mac App store but they are asking $149. So if I purchase the radio do I have to pay an extra $149 to get the Mac version?

Best Answer

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Yes, you are correct.

I use Mac SDR and it works very well with my Flex 6600.

Alan. WA9WUD

Answers

• ldelatorre
    ldelatorre Member ✭✭
    I think I figured it out. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The SmartSDR for Mac is a third party app not developed by Flex Radio so I would have to pay for it separately... :/
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

That is correct, Marcus (the Author) does a great Job, and the software has a lot of tools with CW, FT-8 and RTTY integrated into it, the main drawback is you still need to buy a 3rd party program like DAX that Marcus used to have a coupon he would send you so you could get it for like $70.00 just for the Audio software this is NOT part of the MAC SmartSDR software. This is ONLY needed if you want to run software like FLDIGI, MMSSTV, MMTTY, FreeDV and other Sound card 3rd party programs.

Marcus DOES a great job with updating his software and adding features from time to time and only limited to what the FLEX Radio's API commands can do.

Anyway, hope this helps with your questions so you won't be surprised.

• KP4IP
    KP4IP Member ✭✭
    edited August 2022

You can also try the iOS version (SmartSDR for iOS) that is pretty good. I have both the macOS and the iOS version and both of them are very well written.

Both versions run nicely on M1 or Intel chip.

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

If you can use BootCamp on your Mac, you can always download Windows 10 (Free!!), and then download SSDR from FlexRadio website (also free!!). Just a thought.......

I have both systems on my Mac and both have definite advantages over each other. Nice to have the choice. Well worth the investment.

Good luck and pleasure with your 6400.

Mike.

• MarkS
    MarkS Member ✭✭

FYI…. I use a Mac Book Pro Laptop (Intel 2018) with windows 10 in a Fusion Virtual Machine with SmartSDR for windows. This combination has enough horsepower to run well. I’d think Bootcamp would be even better. I also have SmartSDR for mac which as previously mentioned is a “purchase”. That works well too. I use SmartLink on all of them. No issues. I use them locally (same network as the 6600) and remotely. I have used Bluetooth and USB for receive audio and microphone.

I also have the IOS versions which I use on a iPad Pro and iPhone.

I like having options……. Mark (wd9jen).

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

I run SmartSDR for Mac natively on a MacBook Pro with M1 processor. This Mac version exceeds the capabilities and stability and performance of the Windows version provided by Flex Radio. You won't be disappointed. I switched over to Mac environment after having "flakey"and other issues with Windows version. In addition to more stability, functionality and lower audio latency (even remote), the Mac version provides additional functionality built directly inside the program. Those functions are:

PGXL/TGXL Integration, Midi controller, Band Plan, QRZ Call Lookup, DX Cluster, DX Cluster Map, PSK Reporter, Recording facility, Voice Macros, Alerts, Logbook, Logbook global map, Logbook call sign lookup, CW Decoder, HF-FAX, RTTY and FT8.

The MAC version get updated more frequently and continually receives new functionality and improvements. Highly recommended if you have a Mac environment. It runs natively on Mac and Mac M1 processors.

Dan WA1QZX

• ldelatorre
    ldelatorre Member ✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies. Will definitely get the native Mac version when I get my Flex.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭

if you plan on doing any digital modes i would highly recommend 'Loopback'. You can get a discount with macssdr purchase..

Loopback does audio routing muach ingthe same manner as Virtual Audio Cable in the pc world.

my flex radio is 6600m and i run Macssdr on multiple mac minis, macbook air (M1), macbookpro (intel)

and on iphone and ipad pro use iosssdr by marcus too...

they are programs well worth the price

for logging( award tracking, cluster, mapping...) i use macdxlogger

for FT modes i use WSJTX and also JTBridge which aggregated ( alarms , notification and other features) all the from wsjtx

for Rtty mode i use FLDIGI

for cw, the decoder of macssdr is adequate and used more as an assistant to my ears ;-)

and cwx and macros of macsssdr for sending...

also another digital interface s/w is xCat and xDax by Mario

Lotsa good s/w for the mac and flex combo

enjoy

Paul K3SF

• ldelatorre
    ldelatorre Member ✭✭
    Thank you. What kind of headset you use on the Mac with SoftSDR?