Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

High noise floor also

FlexfromEdwin
FlexfromEdwin Member ✭✭
I'm a very new ham, and have been gifted a Flex 6400. Dealing with high HF can my Elmer is stumped. I shut down the various fuses in the house, didn't change anything. New ground didn't improve anything. Next thing to check is the coax connection to the Buckmaster OFC balun. The antennae was raised by seasoned hams so I am doubting that but who knows. Any suggestions welcomed ! Thanks. W1ENH

Best Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

If you haven't already tried, turn on the WNB. I find that I need it all the time at my location. In my case setting it to around 30 seems to be about right.

If that doesn't help (and it may not - it is very focused on the type of noise it rejects), you might want to look into a noise canceller. I have the ANC-4 from Timewave. MFJ also makes one.

• FlexfromEdwin
    FlexfromEdwin Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you ! 73

Answers

• FlexfromEdwin
    FlexfromEdwin Member ✭✭
    Thank you, that did help ( WNB). I'll look into noise canceller also. I'm catching on little by little and so appreciate guidance. 73
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

For me with my intermittent power line noise I find WNB of 93 to be sweet spot. I’ve seen 20 to 25 dB drop in noise floor at times.

Makes a difference between the band closed and making contacts.

Dave wo2x

• Jeff_W4DD
    Jeff_W4DD Member ✭✭

It might be a good idea to take a walk around the neighborhood with an AM radio. You may find the noise is being generated by a power pole. If you can identify the pole, you can report it to the power company.

Jeff W4DD

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Sometimes power line noise can radiate from the offending pole quite a distance. Using a handheld receiver with an attenuator helps to find the correct pole. Switching to higher frequencies as the signal gets stronger also helps.

There is the RFI mailing list that has a lot of excellent posts on this topic that may help you in the quest to find the source.

Dave wo2x

• One thing I have found is network equipment, especially POE will be seen when powered up. When I am using the Flex I turn off my DVR camera system.

Randy

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

in the original post, mention was made of individual circuits. Maybe try powering the flex with battery and laptop by battery, then trip main breaker to see what happens. The noise could be produced by the station power supply or computer power supply.

• Thank you. I did trip the respective breakers. No change. I don't have an immediate way to run the flex off of battery. Fingers crossed some chokes coming this week. Appreciate your advice.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.