Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New to Flex, what logbook should a rookie use?

RodClaar
RodClaar Member
I'm a relatively new Ham and have a new 6400 on the way. I would like to be ready when it gets here so what logbook program would the community suggest for a new Ham/Flex owner? I have my existing HF rig and a very powerful Windows PC that I can use. I also have a Macbook Pro that I can use.

Answers

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@RodClaar

I use ACLog by N3FJP. Works very well.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

DXLabs DXKeeper works well and N1MM works well

About any logbook your used to will work

• KT5N  Jeff
    KT5N Jeff Member ✭✭

Look at Log4OM

It is very comprehensive, automatically updates ARRL's Logbook of the World and QRZ.com, and has propagation forecasts and real-time solar indices built in. And it's free, though if you use and like it, donations are accepted.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

@jlyonmn -- what settings in log40m are you using to connect to CAT? Are you using omnirig? or hamlib?

Thanks

Don

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

I've used several logging programs over the years, but ended up settling on ACLog by N3FJP. It's excellent software and support is great.

• Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited August 2022

DXKeeper/DXLabs will do everything (and more) that Log4OM does and it's very Flex-friendly--no omni-rig, hamlib, slicemaster, etc needed. Support is excellent, it's constantly being updated and there's no "attitude" like you sometimes get on L4OM user forums. It's free and he does NOT accept donations. It's designed with the DX'er in mind so there are lots of provisions for award tracking and finding rare DX--a job it does very well. However, it isn't as pretty and colorful as L4OM, so it depends on your priorities.

If you're only looking a logger, my suggestion is to start out with the Commander (rig interface) and DXKeeper (logbook) modules. If you need any help or answers, go to DXLab@groups.io

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Rick... I'll take a look at DXKeeper as well. Much appreciated.

• David N4IW
    David N4IW Member ✭✭

I suggest DXKeeper and all of the DX Labs programs. Outstanding FREE programs that are interconnected along with great support via Groups.io. https://groups.io/g/DXLab

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

ACLog by N3FJP for Windows. Or SmartSDR for Mac internal built-in Logbook. Both are incredible.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I use AC Log as my daily log program and N1MM+ for contests. AC Log has great features and pretty simple to set up.

DX Labs Suite is also good but the reason I don’t use it is the program suite has each part of the program in a separate window. Some like that, some don’t. It is a personal preference.

Support for both AC Log and DX Labs Suite is very good. DX Labs Suite is free while the main AC Log program is $30.

One feature I really like about AC Log over other programs is this. I lost part of my log for about 18 months back in 2013/2014. PC crash from lightning hit. I wasn’t backing up to the cloud at that point.

I set up AC Log with Logbook of the World and eQSL. It imported any matches I had for that period and helped recover the part of the log with matches. That alone was worth the $30 for the program.

Dave wo2x

• Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭

DXLab Suite. https://dxlabsuite.com/

Rich - N5ZC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.