Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6600 Rack Mount Ears - Issue

Options

I searched the forum and could not find an answer.

Received a set of the Flex 6600 rack ears. Before mounting them, I checked the spacing against my studio rack. As it turns out, the Flex rack ears spacing slots do not align with the standard US rack holes. Only one slot on each side aligns.

Has anyone seen this issue? Makes me ask the question, does Flex sell both imperial and metric spaced rack ears.

Mike

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Mike

We have sold hundreds of those ears. They are all made from the same CNC machining process.

Any chance you are not looking at them the right way around?

Or, try sliding them up or down the rack and see if they line up.

• Arizona Mike
    Arizona Mike Member ✭✭
    Options

I suppose that user error is always possible.

However, I checked both rack ear plates. Both sets of notches line up with each other. When I place the plates onto the rack in one orientation the slots are off just enough that the slots won't slip onto the screws. If I flip the plates over, only one of the holes aligns.

In my rack, I currently have a 1U recording interface, a 1U 2 channel microphone preamp, and a 2U reverb unit. Down at the bottom, I have the PGXL mounted with it's rack frame and it fits perfectly.

I pulled the reverb unit out to show how the plates sit exactly 3 U from the top.

I do have two 1/2U vents one above the preamp and one above the Lynx interface. These equal 1U. I pulled the top one out to move the different units up, but this made no difference.

I also placed 3U and 4U blanking plates below the preamp and both fit perfectly.

A bit stummped.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Mike, I am guessing that you are off by 1/2 U. Can you move down 1/2?

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options

The standard rack spec is EIA-310. Here is part of it:

This might be more clear:

• Arizona Mike
    Arizona Mike Member ✭✭
    Options

I resolved the problem. The rack ears were punched just shy of 1/16" off center. This precluded the second **** from clearing and inserting into the rail(s).

I used a step drill bit on a drill press after marking the exact location to slightly enlarge the punched slot where the **** enters.

Problem resolved.

• Ron Koenig
    Ron Koenig Member ✭✭
    Options

Been there done that... Swap sides.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.