Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Proper TX Settings Flex 6600 PGXL

Hello I just got my NEW (HAPPY) PGXL, read the manual, installed and set it up with my 6600.

What are the proper settings on the Flex 6600 (RF Power on SmartSDR and TX Gain on DAX) for a clean signal output ?

On a first test: RF Power SmartSDR 20 and TX Gain DAX 41 will get me about 323W on the PGXL. Compression Level read main solid bar yellow -10 and the small square to the right of the main solid bar around -5 in yellow as well. (FT8 with JTDX transmission).

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Juan, the small square in the Level meter is the peak indicator and should never go into the red (i.e. never higher than 0 dB). Your setting of -5 dB is perfect. When using a digital mode, be sure to have the rig in DIGU or DIGL to be sure that compression is turned off so that you get a good, clean signal.

Set the radio output power as per the PGXL manual, depending on how much you are looking for out of the amp.

So far, it sounds like you have it set up very well.

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Hello Len and thank you very much.

Yes for digital mode I always use DIGU or DIGL.

OK on the small square been the peak level indicator, yes it is basically at -5 and the main bar at -10 in yellow.

I will take another look at the manual, but did not want to abuse the 6600 power settings to drive up the PGXL.

Juan TG9AJR

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

And forgot to mentioned that my 6600 is at 110-120V and my PGXL on 220-240V.

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Interesting enough this morning it seems I can not connect to the PGXL, I just submitted a ticket to the Help Desk.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Try rebooting the PG XL by rear power switch.

DAX TX @ 48 with WSJT-X or JTDX power slider all the way up will give just below zero out.

73 Dave wo2x

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Thanks Dave !

Yes indeed I did reboot the PGXL from the rear power switch and all back online now, thanks.

OK on the DAX TX @ 48 and JTDX Pwr slider all the way to the top, now wonder I'm getting reduce power with DAX TX @ 40 42 trying to have the peak at -5 still half way to be below zero red.

• David Decoons, wo2x

On digital you can run the TX level right up to zero (as long as peak indicator stays yellow and not red) without distortion or harmonics. I found keeping DAX TX at 48 and WSJT-X power at 100% has level right at zero without exceeding it. Then use RF Power to adjust your desired power out.

Dave wo2x

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Thanks David and just test it DAX TX 48 is just before Red 0 so I left at 47 and JTDX at 100% to the top, looks good, once again thank you and 73

Juan

TG9AJR

• David Decoons, wo2x

73 Juan. Catch you on the air!

Dave wo2x

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Looking forward David and see you in the pile ups

GL 73

Juan TG9AJR

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.