Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to connect a Flex 6400 to a LAN via a wi-fi extender LAN port

jerryh
jerryh Member
Hello All,

I'm a new Flex user and am trying to initially connect a new 6400 to my LAN. My access to the LAN is via wi-fi. I have near my station a Airi wi-fi extender which has two ethernet ports. I'm assuming I should be able to connect to the LAN by connecting the 6400 RJ-45 port to the LAN port on the extender. However, I'm not finding the 6400 on my Windows 10 pc.

I've looked in the Community data base and haven't found any articles or forum posts on this. Any help would be appreciated! I'm assuming the Flex 6400 should show up on my networked devices that I see on the Control Panel Networking tab. Should I be looking somewhere else? If there is a step-by-step process someone is aware of please let me know!

Many thanks,

Jerry, K7JPF

Comments

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Could be a lot of things, but generally WiFi especially through an extender may not be a satisfactory approach. WiFi can have significant latency, especially with the quantity of real time data in the operation of the radio. Maybe for an initial test try connecting the computer directly to the radio with the supplied cable (or equivalent if more length is needed). Don’t even need an antenna connected, just to rule out radio/computers issues with the connection process.

• jerryh
    jerryh Member
    John, Many thanks for your comments. I have the networking running now using the extender. So far, latency has not been an issue. I will monitor.

73, Jerry
  • nostatic
    nostatic Member
    > @jerryh said:
    > John, Many thanks for your comments. I have the networking running now using the extender. So far, latency has not been an issue. I will monitor.
    >
    > 73, Jerry

What steps did you take to make it work?
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

I’d also like to know how you did it. For example, does,your Wi-Fi extender have LAN ports where you have devices connected (my scenario) or are you running all components on Wi-Fi?

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Duane, IDK your configuration, but from my experience WiFi extenders are a lower choice. TP-Link, among others, has power wiring adapters that work well. These were recommended by Mike.

i installed one at the router near the service entrance and another in the shack at the other end of the house. Both ends use wired connections. In the shack, the adapter connects to a switch which is connected to the radio and the pc. Works well.

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭

Ok, I’m up and running again but I’m not positive why. I pulled the switch out of the arrangement and now have PC, Maestro and 6600 plugged directly into the extender’s LAN ports. This was the config that sort of worked except the transmit would drop (FT8) anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds into the exchange. What I see as different now is that the PC is definitely connected via the ent port and not Wi-Fi. That may be the key as someone gave a clue to it above. I will test it more thoroughly over the next few days and if it holds I’ll disable the PC’s Wi-Fi adapter. I’ll report status after more testing. Thanks all for suggestions and ideas.

• Similar problem. Have a WiFi extender that has a WAN address of 198.162.1.154. When the radio boots, it DAX and CAT show IP of 169.254.125.16..which doesnt work of course. However; that is the same IP I get when I connect the Flex direct to the computer. Or, when I get the 192.168.1.154, when trying to connect remotely, I see the radio, then when I try to connect, it disappears.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.