Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tuner Genius not recalling tune settings

I have to click the tune button to force a recall of the tuner memory. When I change bands (using a profile or via BAND select), the tuner displays the frequency, but the C1, L, C2 setting are set to zero and remain that way. If I click across the panadapter the tuner does not recall, unless and until I click tune or TX.

Once I have clicked tune, the tuner will work automatically again for awhile. I have not pinned down the exact steps that lead to the problem, but almost 100% of the time, I change bands by loading a profile, so it most likely starts there.

Comments and suggestions are most welcome!

6700 | 3.3.32 | TGXL 1.18 | PGXL 3.6.24

Best Answers

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Paul

If I am not mistaken there are about 10 memories per band except perhaps 80m which I believe has more memory frequencies. Not knowing what type of antenna(s) you are using I will assume you are using the "Tune" function. This will automatically tune your antenna assuming there is not too great a mismatch, if there is you will need to tune manually - Section 7.3.2, pg 50. I have a 5 band beam and a 43' vertical. The beam I used the "Tune" function and with the 43' vertical I had to do a manual tune. After I finished tuning for that frequency I click on the left most "knob" on the windows' utility or the leftmost "knob" on the TGXL. This will force the settings to be saved for that particular frequency. See page 50 in the TGXL manual.

As I mentioned there are about 10 frequencies per band so you can take the band width divide it by 10 and that number can be added and subtracted from your starting frequency to give you an idea where you might want to save the tuning results. So once you set this up and do the saving, if you change frequency it will select the closest memory to set the tuner. In addition, I keep a spread sheet as a backup showing the band, frequencies and the C1, L, C2 in case I lose the memories.

Once you have set up the memories as you make changes in frequency such as cw to ssb the tuner will set the C1, L, and C2 automatically for that band and the same as you move to other bands.

Don - kx9q

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Ok. Here is what is happening. The tuner and SmartSDR can handle two different clients connected simultaneously. So when you switch from using port A to port B for example, the tuner will not switch until the client transmits.

This is by design of the SO2R tuner. Focus of the tuner (which side is in circuit) will stay until a client transmits.

Also make sure you have TX Delay in SmartSDR set to 30 ms.

Dave wo2x

Answers

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭

Paul

How do you save to memory?

Don - kx9q

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭

Hi Don

Thanks for the fast reply.

If I need to save the tuner settings manually, I have not done that. The tuner remembers all the settings just fine. Any frequency I've previously tuned on, is stored. My problem is they are not being recalled automatically after changing bands. To recall tuner memory after a band change, I'm forced to click TUNE, otherwise the tune settings remain at zero.

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭

Paul

Are you doing the save option after the tune? Remember to press the C1 button on the TGXL or the left most "knob" on the windows app right after you do the tune. You shouldn't have to do a tune each time you go to a frequency you saved previously. By the way what radio are you using?

Don

• David Decoons, wo2x

I tested with tuner firmware 1.1.8 and 6600m running 3.3.32

after setting up the tuner for each band, band changes has the tuner switch to proper settings without moving VFO or transmitting

Which model tuner? SO2R or 1x3?

On front of tuner does it show correct band and frequency on band change?

Dave wo2x

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭

This is the SO2R version. Yes, correct frequency showing on Tuner.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

My SO2R with firmware v 1.1.8 the Memories work fine and change settings on band and frequency changes.

Maybe I have been doing it wrong all this time but I've never had to push a button to save the memory's on either of my tuners.

If you running version 1.1.8 you may try doing a hard reset and give it a go again.

• David Decoons, wo2x

Out of curiosity, do you have multiple antennas set up per band? (Are you using an Antenna Genius?).

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭

Thanks David. Just two antennas. A beam and a dipole. No antenna genius.

• David Decoons, wo2x

When you are flipping back and forth, is it between bands that use A for one band and B for the other?

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭

Yes.

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭

What was the outcome?

Don -kx9q

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭

I have the SO2R version. So it is working as designed. Since two users can be working at the same time, whoever asserts PTT recalls the tuning memory. It makes perfect sense. It only happens when changing bands from a band on the A channel to a band on the B channel. Thanks all!

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭

• David Decoons, wo2x

You're welcome! Don't forget to set the TX Delay in SmartSDR to 30 ms to allow proper switching.

73 Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.