Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

slicemaster slice b startup and wsjtx

I finally got wsjt to be able to start in slicemaster, with help from k1dbo's assistance, but now I have another issue, which may be a simple toggle somewhere

when I start wsjt on slice A, it loads in my last mode ( ft8 ) but when I start slice B, it always loads in ft4 mode, not last mode. can this be corrected by me. is it normal

Using Smartsdr 3.2.39

Dave ve3wej

Comments

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭

Dave,

There is a quirk of the WSJT-X implementation that prevents it from saving settings when Slice Master shuts it down. The trick is to let Slice Master launch WSJT-X for you, then set it up the way you like. This includes things like window position, etc. Then use the WSJT-X menu bar to shut it down manually. The next time Slice Master starts it for you, your previous settings will be restored.

While unintentional, I often find this to be something of a feature. I know I can make temporary changes to window position, etc., and not worry about losing my preferences.

--Don

• Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭

I only have one issue, and you may have already answered above.

fake it does not retain, even after I set it ( while going through slicemaster), yet running wsjt alone, fake it retains ok.. is there something I can do, so I dont have to keep turning it on??

otherwise things are working good. next step is to see if I can get jtalert to be added to menu

• Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭

I just your comment about the setting in wsjt/shut down wsjt, then reopen in slicemaster.....

'fake it" went to off . it did not retain

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Dave

You really do not require Fake It on a Flex 6000 series radio.

Fake it is designed for superhet radios that do not have a flat response curve in their audio bandpass. Their filters roll-off near the edges. This is the reason for Fake It.

On a Flex radio, the response curve is flat across the top. If your bandwidth is set from 100hz to 3000hz, you can reliably work with someone at 110hz and 2950hz without issue, meaning no loss of RX audio or TX output.

You can easily test this yourself.

• Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭

That is good news, so I will use it on my ts590sg still, and not worry about fake it on my 6300. Thanks Michael

• Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭

oh, but wsjt keeps alerting about fake it on hound mode, should I let it go and ignore that error

• Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭

while I may not need it, wsjt still insists on alerting fake it error, so I will pass this on the wsjt team to maybe grey out fake on flex users??

btw, starting cat manually has not been an option. if I start slicemaster on bootup, when I finally get to Log4om, cat starts by itself...

• I would also love to see fake it set to on by default. Very annoying to have to go in and turn it on all the time.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

FAKE IT is not required for FlexRadios as the TX Bandwidth is flat unlike other HF radios.

• Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭

being true, then I guess I either have to ask wsjt authors to disable the fake it error warning or slicemaster getting my choice of having it turned on ( because of my Kenwood 590sg needs it ) and leaving it set for next restart of slicemaster

• Mike-VA3MW

The WSJT authors have not accounted for the fact that FlexRadio are designed differently and to correctly handle the Digital audio passbands so they are flat from 0hz to 3000hz (or what ever you have set for your Low Pass Filter).

Yes, the 590 needs it as it Flat audio passband with a defined roll-off on the edges.

When are you getting the warning message? I have never seen it. Is it with a particular setup?

You can run multiple different WSJTx configurations as well by using the --rig-name= switch which is in the WSJTx documentation (Section 16).

You can use FakeIt if you wish, however it will likely cause your grief on 60M operating.

Does that explain it?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.