Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

T-Mobile home internet

Ed Stallman
Ed Stallman Member ✭✭

I'm looking to change to T-Mobile home internet , I here the seed is good . My question does it work good with Flex radio? Any problems with networking ? I will use the same router , will I need to reset the router ? or don't change anything and simply connect the router to the T-Mobile device ?

Thanks Ed N5DG

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

You will have to ask them if they are using CGNAT or not.

Most mobile providers are making it next to impossible to use SmartLink.

CGNAT is a technology designed to allow for the use of fewer public IP addresses. With CGNAT your real public IP address is shared with others and you can’t properly set up port forwarding.

CGNAT is very commonly used by cellular and satellite internet providers. For web browsing, Netflix streaming, and most other online activities CGNAT makes no difference.

The problem with CGNAT is that it always results in a double NAT environment. The first layer of NAT is happing within your carriers network, the second layer of NAT is happening on your 5G internet Gateway.

It is the same as this article I did.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

If it helps, not running a Home internet router but using my T-Mobile phone it is double NAT'ed as Mike said.

The 1st local Network is on a local 192.168 subnet and then that talks to a 172.58.72 Network which is a private network so I wouldn't think a radio Smartlink would work

• John K0TG
    John K0TG Member ✭✭

I looked into that a little and it seems T-Mobile is using CGNAT. Verizon will hand you a public IP and will do IPv6 as well. Kinda spotty as to where Verizon home is offered. All these carriers have to configure your local site for that service. I don't think AT&T is offering home internet yet.

73, John K0TG

• Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭

Mike ,John and WX7Y Thank you for explaining CGNAT . I have no entrust in using smartlink . The router I'm using at this time with my 2 Flex radios and 2 computers all connect to this router ! Other devices like FireTv and cel phones connect with WIFI .. The question I have is when I bring the T-Mobile home internet device home and after setting it up . I disconnect the router from the ISP I'm using at this time to the new T-Mobile box . Are all the IP addresses that the 2 computers and 2 Flex radios using now going to change ? Will I need to reset the router? I only want to make this change to have a faster more reliable internet . What I don't want to happen is have a down time sorting thru problems . This may be really simple ? If it's not simple , I will wait for 6M ES-season to end .

Thank you , Ed N5DG

• W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭

I am using a T-Mobile cellular service as an internet service (not T-Mobile Home internet). I have found no way to make SmartLink work with this. Are there any suggestions on how I might remote my 6700?

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭

Ed - I switched from Spectrum to T-Mobile Home internet and still haven’t recovered my station yet. The Spectrum internet entry point was in the shack but the 5G cell signal required I put the T-Mobile unit elsewhere. I still don’t have it working and plan to open another discussion if I can’t find an answer here.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

T-Mobile Home Internet device does not have a LAN port and you cannot configure port forwarding (from reading their instructions) .

I switched from Verizon cellular to T-Maybe and one of the worst mistakes I made coverage 1.4 miles off highway is non-existent and I am only 25 air miles from NYC. Worst cell provider.

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭

Their 5G Gateway device has 2 Ethernet lan ports. The Wi-Fi output is Wi-Fi 6 with 4x4 MIMO. Just for reference.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Thanks for the update. They must have a new device from what they showed me at the store.

iIs it IPv6? Can it do port forwarding or support uPNP?

73 Dave wo2x

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭

Sorry - I have no idea. I’m basically a network newbie which is probably why I’m fighting problems at my station now.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.