Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can the TGXL change antennas without a CAT Connection from non-flex radio?

DaveM
DaveM Member ✭✭
Anticipating arrival of a 1 x 3 TGXL in a month or so. Reviewing setting up options with non=Flex radio (for the moment). Without some additional software or another workaround I anticipate not being able to provide a CAT connection to the tuner.

Apparently the tuner will use RF sensing to find a tuning solution. Without a CAT connection, can the tuner change antennas? It would seem that with this configuration, "no." If so is there any workaround?

I use the single CAT connection for rig control / logging. Any solutions to share the CAT connection with the tuner?

Dave
N4CQ

Best Answers

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

My understanding is you will need a ptt from radio to TGXL in order to activate the rf sense in the tuner. Start at section 6.3.1.3 in the TGXL manual. You will need at least a 20ms delay from transmitter to tuner otherwise you will need to key the tuner first and then key up the radio which is described in the manual.

Don - kx9q

• DaveM
    DaveM Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Don,
    Thanks for the response. I got the tuner setup and operating just as you say. I actually asked how to change antennas. I found out that you can click on the ANTENNA 1, 2, OR 3 block in the TGXL software to change antennas. It works well. 73
    Dave
    N4CQ
  • DaveM
    DaveM Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the response, Don. I got the tuner setup and operating just as you say. I actually asked how to change antennas. I found out that you can click on the ANTENNA 1, 2, OR 3 block in the TGXL software to change antennas. It works well.
    Dave
    N4CQ
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Dave

Sorry, I didn't read far enough in your original post. Yes, it is very easy changing the antenna port using the TGXL software. I have two antennas - beam and vertical. I use the third antenna port for the dummy load.

Don - kx9q

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

It should remember last port used for a band.

See my other post on here about the used with a K3 and TG XL. Third party software such as Eterlogic’s Virtual Serial Port Emulator can create a bridge between the radio CAT port on PC, a USB to serial cable to tuner, and a virtual port to be shared between all software (logging, WSJT-X, etc).

Contact me direct if you would like more info.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.