Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Get Capacitor Microphone working with Flex-6600`

KI5LST
KI5LST Member ✭✭
I have a (most likely cheap) "capacitor" microphone that I'd like to hook to my Flex-6600. It has the three-contact XLR socket. I purchased an XLR to 1.8" TRS, and can attach the microphone to the radio.

However, I cannot get any "valid" audio to the radio. I'm pretty sure the microphone needs bias voltage. When I purchased the microphone, it came with the 7-pin DIN for ICOM radios, which I know provide 5V bias.

If the 3V that the Flex provides isn't sufficient, how do I get more into the circuit? Just pass the mic (+) through a 5V power supply?

As you can tell, I know very little about the "dynamics" of microphones.

For details:
Microphone: Costway EP22260
Frequency response: 20Hz - 20kHz
Sensitivity: 45dB + dB <== doesn't make sense to me
Output impedance: 150 + 30% (1kHz at)
Load impedance: 1000 ohms
Equivalent noise level: 16dBA
Current consumption: 3mA

This appears to be the microphone: https://comstrom.com/products/professional-audio-condenser-microphone-wshock-mount-ep22260-by-cw

TIA,
Joe
KI5LST
Tagged:

Answers

• AA1SS
    AA1SS Member ✭✭

Just go into Smart SDR and turn on mic bias. There is also a boost feature if you need more gain

• KI5LST
    KI5LST Member ✭✭
    Sorry. Should have mentioned that I tried that. I've tried all combinations of bias and +20dB. No joy.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

Just a suggestion, is the XLR to 1.8" TRS adapter wired correctly?

• KI5LST
    KI5LST Member ✭✭
    As far as I can tell, it is wired correctly. I purchased it from Sweetwater. I also ohmed it out, if I remember correctly.

If I crank up the gain in the Audio Control panel (and, yes, MIC is selected), I can get some meter movement, but it doesn't correlate with me whistling in the microphone - so I expect it is all noise.
  • KI5LST
    KI5LST Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Oh, pooh. I noticed the XLR connector on the cable wasn't tight, but didn't do anything about it. I just tightened it up, and now it works. Doh!

Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

Glad you got it to work.

I'm just curious, what do you mean by the "XLR connector on the cable wasn't tight"

• KI5LST
    KI5LST Member ✭✭
    The XLR connector has a sleeve and the center (with the pin sockets). The **** holding the two together wasn't tight.

Joe
    KI5LST
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure how that would affect the electrical connection as the shell and insert are usually not connected to anything.

In any case, I'm glad it works.

• KI5LST
    KI5LST Member ✭✭
    My guess is that with them not firmly joined, that the pins weren't engaging with the sockets correctly.

73's
    Joe
    KI5LST
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity, why not use the 1/4 inch TRS balanced audio input? It’s a feature of the 6600 series that the 6400 series doesn’t offer.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

Per the hardware Manual:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.