Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Antenna Port B not working on PGXL

I have successfully used the Amp on Port A with both an Elecraft K4 and Flex 6600. However, when I try to set up either the K4 or the 6600 on Port B, individually, I get High SWR warnings. Of course I have moved the TX antenna to Port B and set up the same as Port A. The amp is following both transceivers on band switching.
I am using a resonant JK mid-tri antenna for the testing and again, the same antenna works fine on Port A.

I have already done a factory reset, but that didn't change anything.

Has anyone else had this experience. I have submitted a ticket already.

Mike AD5A

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Mike

This worked for me with a K4 and 6600m.

Set up K4 on port A.

Then for Flex, use ANT1 out of radio. Select Flex for port B in PG XL tab. Use ANT1 and LAN keying in the Flex tab of PG CL for port B.

Make sure in CAT tab that port B is unchecked. Also in Flex tab make sure port A in unchecked.

The antenna selection in Flex tab tells the amp which antenna port on the radio will be used. So use ANT1 on radio and for Flex setup in amp.

Let me know if you have more issues.

73 Dave wo2x

• Mike Crownover
    Mike Crownover Member ✭✭
    I'll try that, but let me clarify, neither radio would work on port B as the only radio configured. It wasn't a matter of setting up two radios, I couldn't get either one to work on port B jwith no radio set up on port A. I have video of the Flex showing 1.5:1 SWR on the antenna and then the PGXL giving me a High SWR fault.
  • David Decoons, wo2x

On the Flex, make sure TX Delay is set to 30 ms.

Also, what were you settings for radio antenna selection and amp antenna selection in B section of Flex setup in PG XL app? They must match. You can have radio slice and port B of amp both set to ANT1 or both set to ANT2 but not split. In other words that selection in Flex tab tells the amp which antenna port on the radio is connected to Port B .

Some people may assume it must be set to Ant2 on amp even though radio is on Ant1. That is wrong.

Double check the settings. If you need help, contact me direct and I can help remotely.

73 Dave wo2x

• Mike Crownover
    Mike Crownover Member ✭✭
    Dave,

The antenna selection is Ant 1, the slice is Ant 1, PTT is LAN, only port B is checked on the Flex tab, nothing is checked on CAT tab. I get the High SWR warning on port B. I just now switched from A, which was working fine with a 1.3:1 SWR, to B, same band, same antenna, but different results.

Mike AD5A
  • Mike Crownover
    Mike Crownover Member ✭✭
    My first take on the problem is, it's either mechanical, e.g., loose solder joint, connector, etc.. or the firmware isn't measuring SWR correctly, only on port B. Were it the later I would expect that the problem would be more widespread, however, I can't find anyone who's had the same problem.

Mike AD5A
  • David Decoons, wo2x

Going back to basics.

Give me an idea on radio connections and antenna connections. Start simple.

The PG XL does not have an antenna switch in it. It is an SO2R amp, meaning radio connected to A port goes to A antenna out. Radio connected to B port goes to B antenna out. If you only have an antenna connected to A port then you will have high SWR faults when using B port.

A description of your configuration will help me understand how you have it wired.

In my station, the K4D goes To A input of PG XL and 6600m to B in on PG XL. Then A out of PG XL to A in on Tuner Genius SO2R version. B out of PG XL to B in on TG XL. A out of TG XL to A in on 4O3A 2x8 Antenna Genius. B out of TG XL to B input of Antenna Genius. I use 4 antenna ports on Antenna Genius.

So, please provide a description on output connections of amp.

73 Dave wo2x

• Mike Crownover
    Mike Crownover Member ✭✭
    I can simplify this analysis even further. I was operating last night on 20m with the 6600 on port A, everything works fine. I reconfigure the PGXL to port B, disabling port A, deleting the 6600 serial number on port A configuration, using the same settings and enabling port B. The settings are very simple, 6600 serial number, ANT1 and LAN. I move the radio input and amplifier output coax to port B from port A. No antenna change. Nothing is enabled on the CAT tab. So, same radio, same antenna, same settings, but different result.

I’ve read the manual cover to cover. The validation for me that I understand the setup is that both radios work on Port A. The amp follows the band changes when I make them and all works as it should. However to simplify the analysis, I’ve tried a very simple change from port A to port B with a single radio. The same settings to do not work on port B for either radio.
  • David Decoons, wo2x

At this point open a Help Desk ticket. Sounds like something is not switching properly in the amp.

when on port B what does it show in app or on front of amp for B? Should show the radio on B and RF Sense for A.

You could try a reset of the amp. Hold the button on front of amp while turning on rear power switch. If no good then definitely open a Help Desk ticket.

Dave wo2x

• Mike Crownover
    Mike Crownover Member ✭✭

I already tried the reset and I have opened a ticket. They don't seem to have an answer either.

Mike AD5A

• David Decoons, wo2x

Really weird. I'm out of answers. I will offer to connect to you remotely and have another set of eyes double check your settings if you like but it sounds like you've tried everything already.

What happens when on B side and amp is in standby? Do you still see high SWR? The relays should connect B in to B out directly. Also when you PTT when on B side does the amp show PTT on B?

If you would like me to double check your settings feel free to reach out to me direct. My email is good on QRZ and I am around most days and early evenings.

73 Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.