Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Install MARS board in recently acquired 6400.

Options
I recently acquired another 6400 with the MARS board/mod still in a separate box. The instructions are vague for installation. I currently own another MARS-modded 6400 that is still under warranty. (In addition to a brand-new 6600 which is also MARS modded) I’m wondering how to proceed, should I open my current radio to visually compare the hardware? I don’t want to void my current radio’s warranty but I sincerely would like to install the mod into the used radio (2 yrs older than my current 6400). I AM MARS certified and active in AFMARS R4. Your suggestions are most welcome!
v/r 73 de Ben W5SOF

Best Answer

Answers

• Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have done a 6400 and a 6600, pretty easy. As noted the instructions are easy to follow.

• MSTalon2
    MSTalon2 Member
    Options
    Thanks Gary! That’s NOT what I had! I can usually bully my way through hardware mods (even a TS-2000 SMD mod) but the Flex is a different breed due to all the proprietary stuff involved. Pictures help, HiHi! 73
  • MSTalon2
    MSTalon2 Member
    Options
    Len, sorry the affirmative response and thanks was for you! Misdirected by me to Gary. Thanks again.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

No worries! Were you able to get it installed and working?

• MSTalon2
    MSTalon2 Member
    Options
    No sir! Not yet. The radio is terribly smoked up (from a smoking environment) so I pulled the covers off and started the assembly in the garage rather than my shack! I’ll get back on it after Field Day. I quit in 1990 but have a morbid aversion to cigarette smoke so a little ‘airing out’ is in order. I’ll keep the thread open until the project’s finished. Thanks for your help. 73
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

The MARS board requires a Software Key as well. Please open a support ticket.

And, opening a radio doesn't void the warranty. That is an old wives tale in so many ways. :)

• MSTalon2
    MSTalon2 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Mike! I’m familiar with the authorization process. Waiting for the Field Day dust to settle before I put a bow on this particular project.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.