Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR keeps disconnecting from 6400 and closing

Options

I just got an used 6400 and after going thru the process of upgrading to 3.3.29 everything went fine (no SD Card issue). Nonetheless the radio disconnects from SmartSDR and the program closes itself. This happens several times at random times. Also when turning on the radio I loose the DAX signal.

maybe a reinstall of SmartSDR? What could I verify?

Running windows 10, SmartSDR 3.3.29 and a 6400.

73, Santiago

Comments

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Santiago

Based on your description, suggest you rule out some other possible causes first.

• Power Supply - Make sure the Flex is not seeing a low voltage: monitor with FRStack
    • Local Area Network Problem. - Try a "direct connect" from Flex to a computer with Smart SDR. If no problem, then suspect a LAN issue such as a bad ethernet cable, switch, or router.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

@Santiago Mejia HI8O

If you don't get it resolved, open a ticket please.

• Santiago Mejia HI8O
    Options

Thanks @Alan Already discarded voltage, as radio, frstack and meter shows 13.7. Later today when I get home I will try the network troubleshoot, as it is actually showin Poor Network in SmartSDR icon. So it is a probable cause.

@Mike-VA3MW thanks, I will if needed.

73, Santiago

• Santiago Mejia HI8O
    Options

@Alan @Mike-VA3MW

Updating this issue. Apparently is something with the network, but I have not identified it. Network on the SmartSDR is red (poor), but when I turn on the radio is goes full bars and a couple of seconds in it goes to red (one bar). Here are some screen shots of the error message I get and some info on the issue.

I changed the ethernet cable and changed the switch and still same result. All the other equipments connected to same switch are working fine. Ran Speedtest and everything is getting 100Mps/10mpbs as it should be.

Is there something else to check before opening a ticket? Im not a network expert by any means.

73, Santiago

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Alan, have you been able to connect directly to the flex bypassing the network?

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Santiago, I have seen what you describe when one switch is plugged into another. Do you have that situation? In the case of the ham who had this problem, eliminating the second switch solved the problem.

To find your problem, I would start as John suggests - plug the PC directly into the Flex 6400 with no WiFi, routers or switches in line. If that fixes the problem, add equipment back in, one thing at a time until the problem comes back. That should show you where the issue is.

If you get the same behavior when you are plugged directly into the radio, then it is time to submit a help desk ticket.

• Santiago Mejia HI8O
    Options

Thanks. I will proceed later today as you and John recommend. In fact I have 2 switches, one in the bedroom where the shack is and the second at the shack itself. Strange thing is that the 6300 I had before never had that issue and the set up was the same (is the 6400 more demanding?).

I will troubleshoot it tonight and come back with results.

thanks and 73.

Santiago

• Santiago Mejia HI8O
    Options

Good night fellas. Tried connecting the radio directly to the computer, network gets 3 bars (yellow), connected directly to the main router 3 bars (yellow), connected normally to the usual router where the 6300 was it gets 1 or 2 bars.

I'm opening a ticket.

Thanks for the advices.

73, Santiago, HI8O

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sounds like cable or computer network port. Let us know the answer.

• Santiago Mejia HI8O
    Options

Latest tests for my issue:

(1) Connected the radio directly to the ISP router and it was all green bars (Excellent network).

(2) Connected the radio normally thru the room & shack multi switch but with both DAXIQ off, the radio gets Excellent network (all green bars). Turn DaxIQ back on and network returns to Poor Network.

So defintely it has something to do with the network.

73, Santiago

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

How are you using DAX IQ? Is it feeding some other software? If not, just leave it off, it does create a lot of network traffic.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.