Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW decoder added top Mac SSDR

K3SF
K3SF Member ✭✭✭

just saw Marcus added a CW decoder to Mac SSDR..

i have played with it a little bit and was wondering how others are using it

and

what techniques you are using to tune for good cw copy

i have mine set to track the radio at 500hz that frequency is best for my hearing lose

Paul K3SF

Comments

• KP4IP
    KP4IP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2022

After see your post, I tried it and for me its decoding good with the Auto setting selected. I played with the SQL a little bit... Nice integration to SSDR for mac....

Edit: for me the pitch has to be in 100 in order for the App to decode...

• Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭

I just found this new feature also. Marcus is really amazing.

I am struggling to figure out how to use it optimally. I get it to decode remarkably well at 100hz, but when I try to go to a more typical 600hz, it sounds more normal, but doesn't decode as well. Not clear whether the pitch is just the sidetone, or whether it impacts the decoding accuracy as it initially appears to do.

Also, the tuning may be much simpler with this decoder, just place the tune right on the peak of the CW signal.

But would really be grateful for some documentation, I don't find any in the help file from within the program. The ham world has been looking for a good decoder, and it would be remarkable to have it included in SSDR for Mac.

Looking forward to hearing others experience with it, and perhaps a little more guidance on how to optimize its use.

Bill

KK4C

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭

I have no interest in having a CW decoder, but I did bring it up just because I think the world of what Marcus has programmed. It worked, but my little brain did a much better job of it. Which led me back to the thought that I enjoy CW. I enjoy the sounds; I enjoy the process; I enjoy the fact that learning the code was the beginning of a life-long challenge of improving my sending/receiving skills, and ... harboring an appreciation for those hams that have found the same anguish and joy of learning a skill that brings something of themselves to the hobby besides their typing skills.

I do understand that some hams have hearing deficiencies and this decoder would be beneficial of course. And some, thrill is sending typing at breakneck speeds far beyond human response. Thankfully, there is room for both .. me at the bottom of the band hacking away on my new Begali Intrepid. Not perfect by any means, not all that fast, but it's me. My fingers, my timing, my wishing I was just a little faster and more accurate. That's why I'm still pounding away after 58 years ...

W7NGA, Daniel - Seaside, Oregon

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭

Hi Dan

i too like CW and do most of my copy by ear, i can easily handle 30wpm

i dont write anything down..all in head copy

i learned to that when i was 14 years old back in 1962 (KN3VWF '62 , K3VWF '63)

but now

with some high freq lose in hearing i find 500hz the right tone for

and

i do appreciate a decoder to help me when my attention strays...

( aka the wife calls for something ;-)) )

and

as a way to verify i have heard things properly...

also helps me in dx pileup to make sure its my call they are sending

cause sometimes there is phantom cw in my ears due to wishful thinking that i made the contact ;-))

for me a decoder is not a replacement

but

an assistant..i'll take all the help i can get ... ;-)

Paul K3SF

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭

Totally understand Paul ..