Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Two instances of WSJTX?

Is it possible to run two instances of WSJTX on Mac? I wouldn't even complain if it was one instance of the built in FT8 app and the other with WSJTX. I recently switched to a Mac and while I absolutely love being back on a Mac I'm noticing there are a lot of little small limiting quirks on the MacOS software. de W7APM

Best Answers

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Ok, that is a good starting point.

Each instance of WSJT-X must have a unique name (Argument). In the Mac, this must be done by staring up WSJT-X from the terminal. Here are the commands I use, naming mine "Slice A" and "Slice B":

open /Applications/wsjtx.app -n --args -r SliceA

open /Applications/wsjtx.app -n --args -r Slice

To simplify, I used "Automator" to send the commands. Attached are two Automator files, saved as "Applications". I also added the WSJT-X Icon for each. Add them to your Applications Folder. Double click to start WSJT-X Slice A, and WSJT-X Slice B. Here they are in my LaunchPad.

I am assuming you are using nDAX, nCAT and Loopback. Just set up another set of configurations for each instance. In nCAT, give each Slice (instance) a different port number). You need to Loopbacks for the RX audio. I used "RX1" for Slice A, and "RX2" for Slice B. You only need one TX Audio, since it is common to both instances.

Here are screenshots of mine.

And here are the WSJT-X confiurations:

Alan. WA9WUD

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Can do.

WSJT Slice C is attached. You need to add the WSJT icon as instructed above.

Answers

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Patrick

Yes, running multiple instances of WSJT-X is possible. I do it.

Are you really asking how to set it up? I can help, but first, please give me a starting point. Do you now have one instance of WSJT-X running on your Mac?

Alan. WA9WUD

• Yes, I'm running WSJTX on my Mac currently. Before when I was running the Windows version of Smart SDR it was easy as there were plenty of DAX channels to feed multiple instances of WSJTX. In the MacOS version there's only one DAX output so I was curious if there was a way to get around that. Like I also mentioned, I'd actually be perfectly content running one instance of WSJTX and another of the built in FT8 app if that's possible as well.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Patrick

I noticed the WSJT icons were not allowed to go thru with the Automator Applications for Slice A and Slice B.

Download this WSJT-X icon ".txt" (allowed) file:

Change its name to "WSJT.icns"

On the WSJT-X Automator file, open up the "info" box. Copy the "WSJT.icns" file, and paste (command V) it as shown:

Alan. WA9WUD

• Thank you for the detailed write-up Alan. I'm now seeing that my biggest issue is that I am not running nCAT and nDAX. I was trying to do this within the Smart SDR DAX/CAT applications. Now I'm off to see if I can find those.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
  • Alan, finally got around to implementing this. Thank you so much!!! Any way I could get you to make one for a 3rd instance? I doubt I'll use it, but can possibly see going for it during 6m season. Thanks again and I genuinely appreciate it.

• Thank you Alan!