Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Value in increased net speed?

Neil D Friedman N3DF
Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in Networking

Spectrum has offered to upgrade my home net speed from 200 to 400 mbs for a nominal price. I presume that the upload speed, currently 11 mbs, would also increase somewhat. Current speeds seem to work well, although I have not placed great demands on them. Would there be present or future value for SmartLink in upgrading current speeds?

Best Answer

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Smartlink only needs a minimal fraction of your bandwitdh , even 11Mbs upload is way way enough. What counts is latency . Also, here in DL some people have had increased interference problems with hiugher DSL Speeds.

Harry

Answers

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin

I wouldn't base my decision on SmartLink, because you likely have enough Upload, if you don't have bad "bufferbloat." (Unless other members of the household are doing a LOT of uploads to the net.)

However, if you like to stream a lot of TV to multiple sets, the upgrade from 200-400 Download would be an added value......

• Ted S
    Ted S Member ✭✭

I have 10 mbs down and 2mbps uplink on a GPON fiber network. RTT times to my ISP are under 13ms, very low jitter and packet loss. I have no issues when running remote.

The quality of the connection is more important than speed. Speed is used by marketing dept to sell Tiers of service. Jitter, latency and packet loss are what network engineers worry about most.

Ted, WR4T

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

PRTG Network Monitor is a good tool to evaluate various parameters of your network.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.